Tuesday 27 September 2016

What the Heck!

You will all be pleased to know that the pity party is over. I have been given a stern talking to by a very dear friend who has had an incredibly exciting life. So from now on:
- No worrying about what people I don't know may or may not think
- stop fixating on my age. Its just a number that I don't feel and have been told I don't look
- Stop over thinking and taking everything so seriously
- Be bolder with activities and make my feelings known to people
- Live by the motto "What the heck" After all, what's the worst that could happen and think of how much fun I could have finding out! So to celebrate this new found freedom, she is taking me quad biking!

Anyhow, back to the business of the blog, Beth and I visited Gloucester Cathedral last week and the thought that gets me every time is how on earth can this have been built with no machinery, no electricity and no computer aided graphic design. And still be standing several hundred years later!

I am not a religious person at all but there is something very special about quietly wandering around the cloisters and imagining what it must have been like. Probably pretty horrendous for the people actually doing the building!






As a matter of interest, several scenes from the Harry Potter movies were shot in these corridors.




As with most Cathedrals, the work is exquisite and the challenge today was to try to capture that without the use of a tripod! I bought a "Photography Permit" from the gift shop for £3 which has pride of place on my camera bag, and I might never take it off!


I had my lovely new Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 lens on the camera and it is a fabulous piece of kit. However, the lighting in the Cathedral is subtle so I struggled with shutter speeds. Had to wop the ISO up quite a bit to compensate, but generally they turned out ok.






I loved this tombstone. The gentleman seems to have been caught mid pirouette and looks very elegant with pointed toes and the draped arm. We wondered whether there used to be a sword that he was holding.





One of the most beautiful aspects of the Cathedral were the stained glass windows. We were lucky to have a sunny day which sent vibrant colours dancing over the walls. It was very beautiful and quite ethereal.







This last picture was taken from the inner courtyard and shows what a magnificent building this is. Determined next time to get to the top of the tower if that is possible as I am sure the views would be phenomenal! 




So a fabulous day spending some real quality time with Beth and having a play around with the camera. Then finishing it off with Afternoon Tea at Patisserie Valerie. Truly Scrumptious!





Lessons Learned: You only get one go at life so don't leave it regretting what you haven't done. When I fall off a mountain, or zip wire or whatever crazy stunt I am doing at the time and my life flashes before me, I want to think "heaven's did I do all that, I am pretty darn awesome!"

Diet Diary: See above picture. 'nuff said!

Rambling Record: Slow week this week due to working, but still chipping away at it

No comments:

Post a Comment