Friday 9 April 2021

Trentham Gardens

How wonderful is it that we are now allowed to travel around a bit and visit some fabulous outdoor attractions.

Still sadly can't get into Wales but there are many other places to explore.

So for a long overdue photowalk I head to Trentham Gardens in Staffordshire. There is a really rather good garden centre on site which, when allowed, you can get some amazing cake. But sadly, not on this day.

Anyway, I turn up with pre-booked tickets for the actual gardens and the sun on my back. Surely they were wrong when they forecast snow?

There are many parts to the gardens, but the centrepiece is a large lake a mile long. A path takes you all around it but those of a more weary disposition, on season you can actually catch a boat to bring you back from the far side.

But to me, the main attraction of the lake are the fairies.


















Dotted around the gardens are the most stunning sculptures of fairies playing, climbing and just doing what fairies do.

They are made out of some sort of woven wire and are so delightful with real personalities.


















The weather was a real adventure, they might have got it right about the snow after all! It went from warm and sunny to blizzard conditions and back again time after time. Sadly with the coffee shops doing takeaway only, there was nowhere to hide so I had to put faith in my trusty thermal layers and hope I didn't catch my death!


At the entrance, there is also an Italian Garden. More formal and manicured that around the lake but still beautiful.

There stands there the remains of Trentham Hall, including the sculpture gallery and clock tower. This was partly demolished a century ago but was once one of England's grandest country houses.























This shows some of the remains and also my favourite fairy. Or possibly the next one..


















So beautiful, hard to pick a favourite.

It took about 3hrs to get round, taking photos and stopping for an odd takeaway coffee when the snow stopped, so what to do next.

Head up into the hills of course. Buy fish and chips on the way and park somewhere with a fantastic view over the Peak District watching the snowstorms come and go. A fabulous end to a totally brilliant day.

Diet Diary: Easter Sunday found me desperately hunting through my wardrobe to find something that fit and looked half decent. I struggled. Now I believe that there is an ancient religious decree somewhere that says you have to eat copious amounts of chocolate over Easter, and not wanting to anger anyone's God, I did just that. 
However, Easter is over now and I have to look forward to warmer weather and the shedding of layers and the thought makes me shudder a little. So back on it, yet again. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment