Monday 18 May 2015

Ellesmere Canal

Reunited and it feels so good (anyone under the age of 30 isn't going to get the musical reference, so ask your parents!). Bob is back. He has had to undergo minor surgery to have a lens removed and fix a broken focus panel apparently, but he is recuperating well and had his first outing today.

However, before I start on today's trip, I must tell you about my outing last week. I was still using my little black point and click so decided to go somewhere where I didn't need to take photos. I decided to revisit my favourite way to spend a day. Criccieth for a walk on the beach, 2 minute beach clean and cake at Cadwaladers, then on to Hells Mouth to watch the waves (and if there are surfers, that is a bonus). 

Got to Criccieth and had the obligatory cherry and rhubarb cake then walked along the beach. The tide was out so I was able to walk around the bit of headland jutting out. I actually paddled barefoot and the water was really quite warm. The sun was shining and it was so beautiful there. Got completely lost in my own thoughts. On heading back, I was a bit perturbed to find that the tide had come in and by the time I got to the headland, perturbed had turned to quite alarmed. The water was bum deep and there was no way around it, only through it! So through it I went, holding camera and shoes aloft, hoping that I wouldn't trip and end up completely submerged. Made it through to the other side but was completely drenched, as you would expect after walking through 3ft of water.

However, I was wearing my quick drying shower proof Mountain Warehouse trousers and by heavens, they are good. By the time I had got to the other end of the beach, I was completely dry. Couldn't believe it. So off to Hell's Mouth for a recuperative loiter in the sand dunes watching the abundance of surfers who were there!

Back to today. Its Monday so it must be singing lesson. So a good 45mins to occupy while Maisie sings her heart out!

It has been a dull and overcast evening with occasional showers, but I thought a walk along the canal would be fine. We are so lucky in Ellesmere. We have the beautiful Mere and woodland, plus a fabulous and busy canal with all sorts of interesting things happening around it.




I have done a bit of editing on these photos to add some definition and boost the colours and clarity. 



However, I think the subject matter works well with the more muted colours too.







Many of the canal boats were bright colours and I think I will have to revisit when the sun is out and the light will be better, but for tonight I have gone for "moody" rather than bright.

Only took the camera, no spare lenses or tripod, as with only a limited amount of time, I didn't want to spend it putting up, repositioning and taking down the tripod. Had the ISO at around 400 which gave me an acceptable shutter speed.






After my workshop last weekend, I am trying to look out for the detail in a scene and get in a bit closer. Don't think I am there yet, but possibly heading in the right direction.


I will always welcome comments on my posts or pictures, and I know sometimes it can be impossible to get a comment posted. If that is happening to you, please feel free to e-mail.






I have lived in this area for over 20 years and there are still places that I haven't been to. Today was the first time I had visited the marina and it is a very interesting place with all the canal boats moored, in varying degrees of repair



I've never been on a canal boat either, so maybe that's another thing to add to my bucket list. Not got a lot on there yet, so suggestions welcome.

Lessons Learned:  I really am not safe to be allowed to go out by myself and yet people still let me! 

I will always love the oceans and mountains for a day out, but I really must explore the area around my home a lot more, before they frack it, build on it and generally destroy the charm of Ellesmere.

No comments:

Post a Comment