Tuesday 29 September 2015

The Watkin's Path

So, today, first major hike to a new place in ages. After brief stop at Misty Mere (see previous post) I headed for Snowdonia. 
After the obligatory coffee, but no cake:-( at Cadwaladers headed for the Watkin's Path. This is supposedly the hardest walk to the summit of Snowdon but I have been told (thank you Adrian) about a beautiful waterfall there, long before it starts to get really hard going. Plus, it's been ages since I have been anywhere new on my Snowdonia App!
After the Summer, my fitness levels have dropped, so will work up to the top another time.
On the way there I pass Llyn Gwynant, and as ever distracted by something pretty, I stop to take a couple of shots.





I took a few of just the lake, the reflection and the hills, but felt that they were lacking something, so gingerly crossed some swampy ground to get a different angle and something in the foreground and I think it works so much better. The water was quite still and the sunshine just lifted all the colours so I am really pleased with this shot.



Headed then to the Watkin's Path. The walk starts off gently through some beautiful light dappled woodlands and over a small waterfall. 





















The sun was out and quite strong by this time, so it was lovely and cool in the woods. However, at the end of this part of the walk, the vista opened up and the scenery was breathtaking. To one side of you the waterfall, to the other valleys and mountains. With the sun shining and a beautiful blue sky, it was heavenly. 



Something I have found with my photographs is that they can't capture a magnificent landscape adequately. You don't get the true feeling of distance and depth, so I am not happy with most. This one is actually near the top of the path, after the water fall, but gives an idea of the view.

As I approached the waterfall, the path seemed to veer away from it, which was not good. So I jumped a wall and headed down through the undergrowth to get closer. OK, maybe not jumped, more inelegantly clambered over. But it was worth it.





It was so beautiful. The water cascaded down into beautiful crystal clear pools and the noise was deafening. I decided to forego the path and follow the waterfall to the top, crossing over the "bridge" pictured above. Being a bit accident prone of late, it was with some nervous trepidation that I slowly walked across it, but luckily emerged unscathed and more importantly, dry!

As I climbed further up, more waterfall appeared, there were layers upon layers of beautiful pools and wild flowing water. It was a sight to behold.





The pools were deep and clear and thought they would be ideal for this "wild swimming" I have heard about. It was so hot, I was tempted myself. Even got so far as taking off a boot and sock and dangling my foot in the flow. It was really, and I mean really, cold. So I went no further as blue isn't a good look for me!



























As you climb higher, there are the ruins of slate quarry buildings, including the quarry managers house. Apparently, during the war, the fighter pilots used to use this house as shooting practice, and you can see the bullet holes along the walls. The quarry manager had moved out by this time of course.


It was one of those days and places where I had to keep stopping and looking around and just let it all sink it. The weather was perfect, the scenery staggering, the waterfalls so powerful and best of all practically no one else around! 






The waterfall seemed to flow from a small windy stream and it was hard to see how such a small amount of water could turn into the raging torrent I had followed.

Now the walk turned serious. I climbed up to the slate workers barracks and followed a very steep path towards Snowdon. It was hard going and very hot. I had filled my water bottle a couple of times from the waterfall, so at least I had plenty to drink. There is something very special about drinking fresh mountain water at source!

I paced myself and got quite high, with the top of Snowdon tantalisingly close, on the left of the following picture.



Wasn't the sky amazing! However, it got to the stage where I was having to rest and recover for longer than I was walking, so decided that was probably enough for one day. 

This is now my favourite walk ever, it has replaced the Precipice Walk in my affections, I'm afraid that I am fickle like that! Always looking for something new to tempt me!

This will be revisited often, and now that I have the replacement adaptor for my tripod (£9.99 for something the size of a pound coin!) I will go again soon and play around with some silky water shots.

I now have a companion on all my hikes who will be featuring in their own page. Look out soon for the Chronicles of Bert.

Lessons Learned: Know when to stop. Don't want to risk causing damage or injury to myself or the poor soul who is sent out to rescue me!

Diet Diary: Not been brilliant. Had a good week, bad, bad weekend. Hope the hike has helped.




No comments:

Post a Comment