Sunday 17 April 2016

Hiking Curtailed!


I have had the misfortune to pull my achilles tendon. Luckily it's not too serious but it does cause me problems when hiking. I am not too bad on the flat, but as soon as I try to go uphill it hurts a lot.

So, although I am not having to stop walking altogether, which was my worry, I do have to be very selective and very sensible, which as you by now know, doesn't come easily to me!.

A while ago I decided to walk the length of the Llangollen and Montgomery Canals, so bearing in mind that canals are by their very nature generally flat, I thought I would make a serious effort.





This is looking down on the Chirk aqueduct with the viaduct to the right. A different view to how I normally photograph it, and I thought the mist added another dimension.






This is a more usual view of the aqueduct, but I love the beautiful spring colours.



So over the last couple of weeks I have crossed off a lot of bridges along the canal and walked several miles of it and have come to a very serious conclusion. Canals are boring. I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily pay to float down a canal at a mindnumbing 2mph past trees, fields, cows, more trees, a few more fields, and if you are really lucky, sheep! No mountains, no lakes, no stunningly beautiful scenery, just a few pleasant views.
I think it was when I overtook a boat, and me with my bad leg, that I realised life on the open canal probably wasn't for me.
I will continue with the walking of the canals as I have now set myself the target and it suits my health status at the moment, but as soon as I am fit, Snowdon, here I come!

Trying to mix it up a bit with some town walks too. Earlier it was Chester and the first time I have been able to get a shot of this bridge with no pedestrians!






Then thought a nice gentle stroll from Betws-y-Coed to Swallow falls would be good. It was a nice even path so no trouble. Except that it was 2 miles uphill! Definitely struggled a bit with that one!.




But what an amazing place to be!



















So although the emphasis may not be on "Dramatic and Dangerous" at the moment, but more on "flat", I am still very determined to Carry on Hiking! (was there ever a Carry On film about Hiking? If not, there should have been!)

Lessons Learned: Although my heart and mind are telling me that I am still in my thirties, my body is telling me "Just because you believe you have the heart and soul of a much younger person, if you don't actually start to accept your limitations and take care of me and settle nicely into middle age, I'm going to start telling people how old you really are!
I've never been one to listen to my body, and I have no intention of starting now! So 35 next birthday again, and probably quite a few after that too!

Diet Diary: Not too bad. Struggling to stick to it completely, but not putting on which is all I can hope for at the moment.

Rambling Record: Over 320 miles so far this year. Completely unbelievable! It has dropped a bit over the last couple of weeks because of my leg, but am still a bit ahead and am very determined!

No comments:

Post a Comment