Wednesday 11 May 2016

Finally, another trip


Although I have been out and about a bit recently, nothing has really seemed blogworthy, so its about time I went somewhere interesting!

Decided on a night away in Snowdonia, with the view of exploring parts I had not yet reached.

First port of call, Surf Snowdonia. Regular readers will know that I have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with surfers so to go somewhere where they were more or less guaranteed seemed too good an opportunity to miss. There was also the possibility I might see my photographer/surfer friend in action, but sadly this was not to be. Next time!



Surf Snowdonia is an incredible place. It is basically a constructed fresh water lagoon the size of 6 football pitches. Waves are created every 90 seconds and I really don't know how to describe how they are made so it makes sense, but imagine the front of a snow plough going through the middle stirring up the water. It is a sight to see, and even if you have no interest in the sport, it is so worth a visit just for the experience.





Surfing is something I can watch for hours, it is so graceful and very skillful, but something which I have absolutely no desire to do myself. My friend suggested I book a lesson, but no. Me in a wetsuit, I think not. Plus the combination of a dislike of being in water and a non existent sense of balance does not make surfing the ideal choice for my next challenge. I'll just stick to spectating thank you very much.




The backdrop is beautiful too, you forget you are in the heart of Snowdonia until you look up and see hills and mountains all around.

You can actually stay on site too. There are pods and also tepees which are just fabulous. 




I must have stayed at least an hour, just wandering up and down, watching the surfers and snapping away, and no one minded. There is a cafe there and outdoor seating but the best thing is that you can get really close and you can start to predict the waves, which makes taking photos a lot easier. Got a few that I am happy with, but do feel I could have done better, so will just have to go back. Soon.


I took most of the action shots using my 70 - 300mm lens so I could get closer. It was a bright day so I was able to have a fast shutter speed to capture the movement without blurring. Not quite got it yet, but getting very close.

More on the rest of the trip to follow shortly. Got so many photos to sort, its going to take a while!

Lessons Learned: I think I have found my happy place. So next time I am at the dentist or going through something unpleasant, I will cast my mind back to waves and surfers and all will be calm and good!

Diet Diary: Bit of a stop at the moment, struggling to get back into it, yet again! Why is it that the calorie content of food increases in direct relation to the tastiness of it!

Rambling Record: I am on fire!! 393 miles so far and well on track for the 1000. The tendon problem slowed it down, but I am back at full strength and raring to go

No comments:

Post a Comment