Tuesday 31 May 2016

A day of two halves


I have decided that it is time that I explored some new places. I keep returning to my favourites, but have to remember that my favourites were once new places, and so other new places might become my favourites. If you see what I mean!


I have recently bought a great book of walks around Betws-y-coed and found one that looked intriguing. It takes you through the disused Hafna Lead mine which sounded fascinating.

It is based just outside Llanwrst on the side of a valley amidst a dense forest. You park halfway up the valley then walk practically to the bottom which was steep and very uneven, then complete a circle going back up the valley, over the top of the derelict buildings, back to the car park.





The views were incredible and the buildings fascinating. The following is a bat capped mine shaft!



 It is very sad to see what was once a major industry in such ruin, but there is an awful lot of this around in Snowdonia.
However, although the hike was very strenuous in places, the peace and tranquility were perfect.



 The chimney had to be kept away from the smelting buildings because of the noxious gases it emitted! Not overly environmentally friendly.



The day really was one of two halves, the second half I will deal with briefly. On my way from the carpark, I was flagged down by a lad obviously in distress. He had found what he believed to be a suicide and did not know what to do. I followed him to the location where there was a car with the engine running and the exhaust leading into the car where a gentleman sat. I opened all doors and turned off the engine but there was unfortunately nothing I could do for the gentleman. The next 2 hrs were spent waiting for ambulance and police.
When they had finished with me, I felt I was in no fit state to drive home, so as I was only about 10mins from Surf Snowdonia, I headed there. I felt the need to go somewhere happy where people were having fun. I also knew that there was a chance I would see a friendly face there.

I was there for about an hour, just sitting or taking pictures and then felt calm enough to drive home.

Lessons Learned: Expect the unexpected. I always imagined that if anything dramatic ever happened, it would be me falling over, down or into something. Never imagined I would come across someone who believed there was no other way out. It has affected me a lot more than I expected but the positive I can take from it is that I was able to take control of a situation that was well outside my comfort zone. I was a wreck after, but at the time I coped. 

Diet Diary: Doing incredibly well and so pleased. Currently down 1.5 camera bags, so halfway there!

Rambling Record: over 460 miles! Aimed for 500 by the end of June, and so well ahead there.

No comments:

Post a Comment