Monday 18 September 2017

Living dangerously

Having spent most of their lives warning my girls never to arrange to meet anyone they met on the internet, I arranged to do just that!

To be fair to Felix (names changed to protect the innocent!) we had been conversing about photography for a couple of years on and off and he is a devoted follower of the piece of nonsense I call my blog (So Hello Felix if you are reading this :-) )

I have admired his photography for the longest time and so it was wonderful to be able to meet up and see him in action and get some advice and inspiration.

He persuaded me to be daring and go somewhere new. I have never explored the Wirral area before and he knew the perfect spot to get me started.

The planned destination was Hilbre Island. This is off the coast at West Kirby and do check out this link for more information: 
Hilbre Island

It actually comprises a series of islands cut off by tides for 5 out of every 12 hours, but at low tide, you can walk across the 2 miles of sands to explore it fully. From the islands you have views towards Snowdonia on one side and Liverpool on another and when the sun eventually came out, Liverpool shone!


We arranged to meet about an hour after the tide turned meaning that we would be following the tide on its way out, leaving clear sand to walk on. 

However, we both arrived extremely early, decided to walk anyway and ended up paddling most of the way and spending the remainder of the trip with wet feet! Just too impatient to get going!

The islands are amazing. The rock formations are just incredibly beautiful. Being underwater for most of the time has done fabulous things to them, adding so much texture.



This is the old lifeboat station and I just loved the layered rocks that it stood on. Felix and I agree to disagree on this, but I really like the turbines out to sea and the juxtaposition of the old derelict building with the shiny elegant windmills.



This is taken from inside the building and what a fabulous view to have out of your door!

Now I think I have to admit to being a bit set in my ways. I wanted to learn how to take the type of fabulous landscape that Felix does, but still found myself looking at detail and texture and close-ups. So here is the obligatory rusty lock pic!



Being exposed to the sea and wind all the time has done fabulous things to the rocks, but the structures have suffered a little, and the little occasional coffee shop/information hut is being treated to some tlc.



Being a sunny Sunday afternoon, it got quite busy and it was actually lovely to see so many people enjoying the scenery and the sunshine. OK, you know I don't mean that. I prefer it when it is cold, stormy and completely deserted, but I am not sure whether I would be able to persuade Felix to venture out during a hurricane in February!

But people can add interest in photographs, she admits reluctantly.



But give me a dog standing guard every time!




However, my favourite find of the day, tucked away at the furthest end of the Island, is the ladder.



Looking more like an ancient totem pole, this is the most amazing thing on the Island. It is set into the rock face and the sea and the elements have taken a metal ladder and turned it into the most beautiful and extraordinary work of art. The patterns of the surrounding rocks and the spread of the rust as it searches for new conquests to engulf and beautify. The tear drops falling from the eyes of the beings forever trapped within the metal. I could go on...


This is how it is set into the rocks, looking out over the sea.

So another fabulous day. A fascinating location and wonderful and interesting company. Thank you Felix :-)

Lessons Learned: You know the old saying "Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet", well I have a new friend, so take a chance and meet new exciting people. But always let people know where you are, carry a whistle (thanks Hugh) and keep your gps turned on!
Another version of that saying, that I have just made up, is "New places are the favourites you just haven't been to yet". I now have a new favourite.

Diet Diary: Forgot to take lunch with me, so food on the way home was 2 chocolate bars and half a bag of crisps. So no, the diet is not going well!
However, the way is now clear to get out to do a lot more walking, so here's hoping!

5 comments:

  1. Good to see you are getting out and about again. I've been promising myself a trip to Hilbre for years but just never seem to have the time or the inclination to take myself over to the Wirral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not somewhere I have ever considered going, but I got talked into it! Currently wanting new adventures and experiences so I was easily persuaded! Definitely worth a visit.

      Delete
  2. I love the pictures and description. It's such a great place, perfect to take someone special to, if they've never been there before. You can explore and have a real adventure. I'm with you on that definitely.

    All the best for more adventures

    Sweyn Sinclair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sweyn. It was a fabulous day out and lovely to go somewhere new and exciting with someone new and exciting! Many adventures to be had I think!

      Delete
  3. G'day. It gets pretty boring down here in Port Victoria, Mahe, believe it or not but one of the joys for me is being able to read blogs like yours on a dull watch (We don't have many bad pirates in the Indian Ocean these days to tussle with). Keep up with the excellent blog and I look forward to reading more grand explorations by you
    Brgds

    Sam Adams

    ReplyDelete