Friday 24 July 2015

Harlech

The day dawned drizzly and dull, just about right for March. Whats that?! Its July?! Surely not! Just about resisted getting the thermals out but it was close.
Planned a day out with Carl, bit of hiking, bit of sightseeing, but that was going to have to be adapted. What to do instead? I know, Criccieth, Cadwaladers, Coffee and Cake! Yes I know I'm supposed to be on a diet, but its the holidays!
Criccieth is always fabulous but it wasn't really beach walking weather, so we had a drive along the coast and headed for Harlech. I have been to the beach there before but Carl hasn't so I thought I would show him around and hope the weather improved. It did a bit, but there was still a misty rain, not quite picnic weather, although one family didn't agree!




The most worrying thing about today was getting water in the camera. I think I need to invest in some sort of waterproof cover. 
The sky today was one of the very flat and uninteresting skies that are just a blanket of grey with little definition and I always find that a bit of a challenge in my photos. I am still trying to expose for the sky and bring out the shadows in editing, but it doesn't always work.







We managed to walk along the beach for a while and came to a small harbour area with some very old and worn posts covered in moss and seaweed making the beach scenes all the more interesting than just sand. Taking a good photo on a beach can be quite difficult as just sand, sea and sky can look uninteresting on a photo, but gorgeous in real life, so I always try to get some sort of foreground focal point in. Doesn't always work, but I try!




Loved this old boat which is being reclaimed by the sand and the sea, looking out upon the water as if remembering the old days when she too was seaworthy.





Saw these very interesting constructions on the beach. Large metal cylinders filled with rocks and concrete. No indication of what they are. Any suggestions welcomed.

Anyway, rain stopped play and we had to head home. Via Betws-y-coed for lunch, but you will be pleased to know, no cake and over 4 miles walked. The tube of rolo's was for the journey and doesn't count.

Lessons Learned: If you only go out in the summer when the weather is nice, you will never go out.
Have enough cake and you won't care what the weather is like.

Diet Diary: Don't really want to talk about that at the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment