Saturday 4 July 2015

Mini Adventure Part 2. Aberdyfi and Borth

Working my way along the coast and have found a walk from Aberdyfi on my Snowdonia App called the Gwelfor Walk, promising great views and a secluded bay. However, although it was still very warm, I could see storm clouds approaching over the sea and so decided not to venture too far.
Aberdyfi, or Aberdovey, they seem to spell it both ways, is completely gorgeous. The beach is very wide and sandy and the sea sheltered and so calm.






So off came the shoes and some intensive paddling was done. I had actually ventured out in shorts in the morning so the flash of white seen in the distance wasn't lightning, just my legs seeing the sun for the first time!
The beach was a little strange, the sand very uneven. Not sure at all what caused it, but it made it look very interesting.




I walked for quite a way but could see storm clouds rolling in from the sea. It was very dramatic, but unfortunately none of the pics came out. Decided it might be prudent to head back to the car. Didn't quite make it and got a bit wet, but not too bad.

So decided to head to Borth and my hotel room. I had booked the last remaining room in the premises and it was the family room, so I had 4 beds to choose from, a double, a single and bunks! The room was incredible. There were boxes of toys, full book cases and a crate of teddies in case I needed something to hug during the night!



Mine was the yellow one.

This unfortunately was the highlight of Borth. It is a surfing hotspot and I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I found. I think I envisaged something like Abersoch which is very pretty and has a chic lively feel about it. Borth on the other hand felt shut! 






To be fair to it, the weather was horrible and the tide was right in so I didn't see it at its best, but I can't see it being much better in the sunshine.

However, determined to make the best of it, I decided to walk the beach and just give it the benefit of the doubt. There were a few light showers but they were manageable until I got as far as I could and decided to turn back. Then the heavens opened and I got completely drenched. The water was literally running down my legs and I zigzagged all the way back between shop awnings and bus stops! It was only when I was about 50yds from the hotel that I remembered I had a brolly in my camera bag!

Needless to say that I didn't take any photos at the time but took this the following the morning. Seen at its best from a distance!





There was no way I was going to be spending the evening in Borth so headed to Aberystwyth which is fabulous! Headed to the sea front. The waves were wild and the sun was breaking through the clouds doing some very beautiful things.




Aberystwyth is a very beautiful place. I think because it is a University town it has a certain artistic chic feel to it. They really seem to have made an effort to make it appealing. At one end is a small harbour with many yachts moored and a fabulous array of what I think are lobster pots.




This is the sea front and I just love the colours of the buildings. The evening was getting quite dark by this point so I have had to edit a bit, but this is what it looked like.






The pier took a bit of a hammering during the storms earlier in the year and you can't go too far on it. It does unfortunately look a little sorry for itself! Thought the black and white looked more dramatic.






When you get a place that has so much character it is easy to find loads of things to photograph. I'm not saying they are all good photos but I find them very interesting. I loved the shabby bench within an alcove in the wall. There were a series of them picking out different aspects of the city.







The following pic shows stairs leading from the prom area down to the beach, but because the tide was in so far they only led to the sea and the sea was wild!




The rain held off all evening and just when I didn't think the evening could get any better, I spotted surfers! 4 brave souls in the water










They were very good and it was a challenge trying to photograph them. Had to have the speed as fast as possible but because it was dusky, had to have the ISO up high and keep the aperture open, but didn't want to risk losing too much depth of field. So if you look really closely, they are a bit grainy, but why would you want to do that!

I was very interested to see how one chap surfed in flippers, but according to an expert (thanks Stewart) he was body boarding, which if I understood correctly, is surfing for beginners!

So all in all a pretty good day. Walked over 10 miles and finished up with chips on the sea front!

Lessons Learned: Things will always get better. If you don't like the situation you find yourself in, move!
Chips taste so much better from a chippy and to eat them at the seaside is perfection.

Diet Diary: Ok I realise that I have just admitted to eating chips, but I did hike a lot during the day and a girls got to eat!



2 comments:

  1. Again loads of stunning pics! I was looking for the cake... hidden in another blog post? So curious. Maybe this is a sign. Maybe I shouldn't be looking for cake after all. Maybe I'm meant to be looking for adventure and action? A great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've caught me mid diet so there is less cake about, but I'm in holiday mode now so the cake will be back! It just goes to show that you can be adventurous, brave and climb mountains, and still eat cake!

      Delete