Saturday 19 December 2015

Dinorwig


So the day dawned cold and drizzly. Needed to get out for a small hike somewhere to top up the zen. Thought I would head to Snowdonia. Haven't been to the Dinorwig Slate Quarry for ages, and if the weather didn't improve I had the Slate Museum to visit.


So decided to get prepared for any weather eventuality, so checked waterproof trousers, snood, scarf, gloves, hat, spare boots and socks. All set.

It was only when I was almost at Betws-y-coed that I suddenly thought that I didn't remember picking up my coat. Parked up and ransacked the car, no coat. Its the middle of December and I am hiking up a hillside and I have no coat! I really am a danger to myself.

So 3 choices:
a) Go home and get coat - would waste the whole day, so not an option
b) Put up with the cold - really don't like being cold and it would spoil the day
c) Go buy another coat - any excuse to shop!

So helped by a very nice and rather handsome young man in one of the shops (I do seem to find them on my travels!) with the brief of "warm and cheap" I was finally suitably attired. (Would you like a bag? No thank you, I'll wear it, can you cut the tags out please)






So first stop Dinorwig Quarry. You can either walk up from the bottom, which is a very steep climb, or park up halfway and walk the rest. Afraid I wimped out. Fitness levels still not where they should be, so will work up to that one. Its amazing how quickly they drop. Climbed Snowdon in May, don't think I could do it now!

I was looking for a picture for the Derelict Sunday challenge I am hosting on blip for the next 4 weeks, and had a scene in mind.

























I love the ruined state of the building with Snowdonia in the background. A dark and dramatic reminder of Snowdonia's industrial past. I tweaked a bit in Lightroom to add a bit more drama and hopefully make it a more powerful shot.


















This is one of the Slate Pools that you come across when wandering through the quarry. The scenery is just incredible. You are surrounded by slate mountains on one side, and real ones on the other, it is very imposing and quite humbling when you think of the conditions men had to work and live in.













Much of it is fenced off which is a shame, but I think it would be foolhardy to climb over those fences because it is obviously a very dangerous place to lose your way in.


It was starting to drizzle again by this time so I headed to the Museum which amazingly, is free entry.



There is a very informative short film when you first get there telling you about the history of the quarry and then you are free to just wander around among the bits of machinery left as if the workers had just popped out for lunch.

On this visit, they were well into the Christmas Spirit, so there was more tinsel than you could wave a stick at, and an assortment of Snowmen, Santas and Reindeer, which kind of changed the ambience a tad, especially as I was the only person in there!




















Been here many times and I just love it. I seem to find something new to see every time I visit. This time there was a whole new room open with some very interesting dials! 



The main piece of advice for any photographer visiting here is to remember your tripod. The light is very dim throughout and you will probably need some long exposures. It really is worth the inconvenience of lugging it around!

Last stop of the day was at Llyn Padarn. It truly is beautiful, a large lake with views towards Snowdon. 




The dying sun cast some interesting shadows and gave the light a beautifully dramatic feel. 

So I have hiked over slate, clambered up hillsides, photographed lakes and derelict buildings and also got the chance to do some shopping. Zen levels well and truly topped up!

Lessons learned: Leave the new coat in the car for all the other occasions when I am daft enough to forget one.

Diet Diary: You'd think all this hiking would help with the weight loss wouldn't you. It has been suggested that if I stopped visiting all the coffee shops and having slabs of cake, that it might make a difference, but I can't see that myself. What do you mean "denial"?


No comments:

Post a Comment