Wednesday 10 June 2015

A couple of trips

We have had some gorgeous sunny, if a trifle windy weather so I have just had to go out. Although that might just be an excuse because I have actually been out in rain, snow, gale force winds and freezing conditions. Nothing if not hardy!

Headed for Betws-y-coed for coffee and cake at Cadwaladers, to plan my trip. I may have mentioned that I rather like Cadwaladers. 

While I was sitting there I decided not to go anywhere else, but to explore the river and woodlands a bit more. It is a beautiful place to walk around if you stay away from the giftshops and the coachloads of elderly tourists.








Much of the path is on wooden walkways which makes it very accessible for every fitness level. Bearing in mind that the town centre was packed, I barely met a soul on my walk. It was very quiet, all you could hear were the birds and the river. The sun was bright but the woods were cool and the light made very interesting dappled patterns.






I  have been struggling to take good photos with my telephoto lens. I haven't been able to get clear shots, there is always a bit of blur and a lack of crispness in the focussing. I decided to spend the day practicing with it and I think I have discovered the problem, well 2 problems actually. Firstly I found myself holding the lens to steady the camera and thereby turning it slightly out of focus. 2nd problem was that I had left on an ND filter which took away much of the light and so I wasn't getting fast shutter speeds! I might be quite good at this photography lark if I ever work out how to use the equipment properly! So hopefully next time out will be better. Watch this space.






After my stroll through the woods I had a browse in some of the outdoor gear shops. Its amazing what you can buy and staggering how much you can pay for it too! Anyone who says hiking is cheap is misinformed! Managed to get away with just a new fleece and a lightweight jacket and that had absolutely nothing to do with the helpful and handsome young man who assisted me! Might have to go back.

Todays trip was slightly less adventurous but still enjoyable. My Mother is starting to get quite interested in my explorations so I decided to take her for a stroll around Moreton Corbet Castle. I have blogged about it before, but basically it is a ruined Elizabethan Manor House and it has such an absorbing atmosphere. 









My Mother has always had a love of history so it was interesting going around with her, chatting about how the house would have been built and lived in. Bearing in mind I usually go on trips by myself, it made a nice change.




On the way home we stopped at a Plant Centre (not Garden Centre, no giftshop or posh coffee shop there, just plants and gardening stuff). I didn't buy, as previously mentioned, I wouldn't inflict my gardening skills on a currently living plant, but did take a couple of photos. I do love Gerberas. Probably one of my favourite flowers.






On the way home we just stopped at a shop in Ellesmere for Mum to buy something for her garden.





No, I don't know why either!

Lessons Learned: Never think you are going to understand your Mother. Just when you think you have her figured out, she goes and buys a gold Buddha!

Diet Diary: Nope, nothing


2 comments:

  1. Sheila Gittins11 June 2015 at 13:40

    Love a betws y Coed ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. So glad the blog finally let you make a comment!

      Delete