Saturday 13 June 2015

Anglesey Llandwyn Island

Its always lovely when someone offers to do the school runs for me as it means I can get out early and don't have to rush back. It was a bit last minute, so spontaneous decision needed, so decided to go for a favourite of mine, Llandwyn Island on Anglesey for the morning then Plas Newydd in the afternoon.

It is a beautiful drive there, I go through Llangollen, Corwen, Betws-y-coed and through the Ogwen Valley. Takes over 2hrs but it never seems long because the scenery is so beautiful.

It was a gorgeous warm and sunny day and I must admit that I paddled! 

I think what I love about Llandwyn is that you seem to see everything in one go. You drive through the forest, which you can later walk through, to get to the beach where you can see Snowdonia across the Menai Strait (or at least I think that's what the water is, geography never my strong point).





The island itself is very interesting. You get a real historical feel to it, and now that they have opened up the exhibition in the Pilots Houses, you can understand more of how the island came to be, and how people lived and worked on it.





But the real beauty of it to me is the coastline. You get fabulous craggy inlets to secluded sandy bays. 




Such a beautiful and interesting place and as of yesterday, you pay just £4 to park all day, and there are toilet facilities and a refreshment van. Well worth a visit.







So I head for Plas Newydd, a National Trust Property, but when I get there it is shut! Apart from the tea room and the children's adventure playground and although I am tempted to go and have a play, decide to head elsewhere. Caenarvon in fact.




The castle is of course magnificent and I spend a happy hour wandering through the back streets. Decide to try a bit of street photography.





This was the Welsh/German meeting of the Outlaws Motorcycle club and I know the post is in the way, but I had to hide behind something to take the photo!

Then homeward bound, but via Llanberis and a stop at Llyn Padarn.





This to me is one of the most beautiful views of Snowdonia. You are looking across the lake towards the mountains and I could sit there for hours just looking.

Lessons Learned: Check that places are actually going to be open before you drive to them!
Don't risk annoying the bikers. I am sure they are really teddy bears under that gruff exterior, but wasn't going to take the chance!

Diet Diary: Finally admitted defeat. I am going back to Slimming World on Tuesday. I lost a lot of weight with them before and I think it is the only way for me to do it. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment