Tuesday 2 June 2015

Five Beaches

Today I had decided was going to be a beach day. I had the opportunity to have a full day out so could go a bit further. You may have noticed previously that one of my favourite places to go is Hell's Mouth and there were waves of 6-9ft predicted today, so I don't really think there was any doubt where I was going!

When I left home it was windy and raining and it rained practically all the way there and I was starting to get a little concerned. However, just before arriving the sun broke through and sent the clouds away and it turned gorgeous. Still incredibly windy, but dry.







I decided to take my music with me today thinking that ear phones would protect my ears from the extreme winds, which they did. There wasn't a soul around and with the deafening crashing of the waves it seemed like a good opportunity to sing along. There is nothing like being where absolutely no one can hear you to bring out the inner diva. I can recommend Sam Smith, with all that raw emotion, unrequited love and very high notes, you can really let rip!





There is something so very special for me about Hell's Mouth and I'm not really sure what it is. I think possibly because it is so different every time I go and there is something wild and untamed about it. That is something I would love to have been myself!

It has been noted that I may have a slightly unhealthy obsession with surfers. It's possible and there were a couple in the water, but when you see them somewhere like this, its not all Hawaii Five O, the conditions look pretty scary to me, so lets go with admiration rather than obsession.






I decided to head for Pwllheli after this but saw a sign en route pointing to a different beach, so nothing if not adventurous, I detoured. It was a National Trust beach called Llanbedrog and was so different from Hell's Mouth. It was sheltered by a cliff and the water and wind so calm.






But the main beauty of this beach were the huts. A long row of gorgeous brightly coloured little houses.






A photographers dream! I can just imagine sitting on a deckchair with a kettle on a camping stove brewing some tea. 

Next stop Pwllheli and back to wild winds and waves. No pics of those because I think you can only get excited about occasional images of waves before they all start to look the same.




















You can walk a long way along the beach to get to the harbour where all the boatyards are. There are some very impressive vessels here and I would love to have a go at sailing. Ooh, another thing for the bucket list!





The wind was still extremely strong and blowing the sand around and it felt like needles hitting my face, so with my hat, sunglasses and scarf pulled up over my nose, I must have looked like I was either Scott of the Antarctic or a soon to be bank robber! It did mean however, that I didn't take as many pics as I would normally for fear of getting sand in the camera, and having only just got Bob back, don't want to be sending him away again so soon.

Heading now to Caernarfon for petrol and journey home, except I get distracted by the sign pointing to Trefor. Been a couple of times before and really like it there. It has a pier which can only be being held together by wishful thinking.




After the winds today, I am surprised its still standing. Back to the music, and Russell Watson this time. With the wind raging and the waves crashing, opera felt a bit more appropriate.! 

Tide was out and so the boats in the harbour made an interesting scene. Haven't done much editing to any of these pictures, just a bit of cropping and colour definition. I think that the more I take, the better I am getting at composing the pic actually in the camera, playing around with exposures and shutter speeds. Still a long way to go, but I am definitely seeing some improvement. Hope you are too.







So last stop of the day, Dinas Dinlle. Another place I had heard of but never been. Being a member of some of the North Wales Facebook groups has introduced me to some wonderful places and I would recommend anyone joining. You don't have to submit your work if you don't want to, but you will probably see some amazing pictures of places you really need to visit.





So a wild and completely amazing day and not only was it great fun and good exercise (7.4miles) but it was also free. Apart of course from the fortune spent in petrol!


Lessons Learned: OK, I may be a tad obsessed with surfers, but the Mantra I live by is "You may be on a diet, but that doesn't mean you can't look at the menu"
Followed swiftly by "Looking is fine, but nibbling may be deemed inappropriate"

Diet Diary: No comment!



No comments:

Post a Comment