Monday 29 June 2015

Llyn Ogwen and Cwm Idwal

I think I have attempted the Cwm Idwal walk about 5 times so far and due to adverse weather or unwilling companions have not managed to get all the way around.

Well today I was determined. Partly because I wasn't going to let it beat me and partly because having had a really stressful few days the diet has taken a bit of a hammering and so some serious hiking was a bit of a necessity if I'm not going to break the scales at Slimming club tomorrow!

So I parked up by Llyn Ogwen and walked to the Visitor Centre. The scenery here in the Ogwen Valley is so dramatic and although you walk along the A5 there is very little traffic.





By the Visitor Centre (where there are toilets and a cafe selling some gorgeous cake, but only to those not needing to get back on track with their diet) you follow the path up and very quickly come upon the view below. The peak in the distance is Tryfan. This is one of the most recognisable peaks because you can see a reclining facial image. Apparently some say Native American Chief with headdress, or Neolithic Man. Although the current most popular is apparently Homer Simpson!




Just along from this view is a small wooden bridge that goes over a waterfall.



This view is from the far side of the bridge, looking back to Llyn Ogwen. The gate in the centre has been designed to reflect the landscape of Cwm Idwal.



There is an obvious designated path which takes you along the side of the lake, towards Devil's Kitchen, the scooped out end of this glacial valley.





So far so good. The weather is beautiful with a cool breeze making it perfect hiking weather. At the far end of the lake the path suddenly gets very steep. In the picture above, right in the middle, you can see the slope. You follow that path to its end and then scramble up the side of a waterfall which you then have to cross. The path gets a bit vague here and I did my usual trick of waiting for a couple of hikers to pass and then follow them. 

This of course only works if they are heading the same place as you! After we had all been climbing for quite a long while over some very steep and rocky terrain I thought I had better check that this was the right way. Of course it wasn't. They were heading to the top ridge of the Glyderau mountain range and we were almost there. I had missed the path down to the lake completely. Seem to have done something similar before! Still the views were fabulous.





At least I could see the path from up there and it was a heck of a long way down! Still, undaunted, I retraced my steps and headed back down. I slipped once and have now had my first hiking injury. Caught my foot between 2 rocks and came out a bit bruised and bloody. Although to be fair, if I'd known that the hike was going to be so hard I would have worn my walking boots and not my shandals. (Shandal, cross between a shoe and a sandal apparently, who knew!)





So eventually found my way down to the banks of the Idwal. I was tempted to paddle, but unfortunately time was short as I hadn't expected to detour quite so much and I had to get back for the school run.

So I have finally done it, and then some! Definitely going to do it again, and maybe next time I will leave myself enough time to climb to the ridge of the Glyderau.

Lessons Learned: Next time I follow someone, make sure we are heading for the same destination!

If going mountain climbing, wear boots!

Diet Diary Had a good day today. Will find out tomorrow if it has compensated for the sins of the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment