Saturday 22 August 2015

Chirk Castle

Was able to snatch a quick hour recently to pop out to take a couple of pictures. This daily blip that I do can be very challenging when time is short, but haven't missed one yet, so far!
Anyway, popped to Chirk Castle. It was too early for the house and gardens, but the grounds were open, so spent a happy half hour snapping away.
However, when I got home and looked at them on the pc, I didn't actually like any of them!
I don't know whether I am just becoming more critical of my work, or they just weren't very good pictures.
My first thought was to go out again later and retake, but then I thought, what if I couldn't. What if it was a once only trip or occasion? I would then have to work with what I had. So I hit Lightroom.

This is the original photo which I believed had potential.






I loved the shape of the tree and thought it stood out because everything around it was green and lush, but felt it was lacking something.
I played around with contrasts and colours and then tried black and white which worked better, but still not quite there.







Definitely getting there, just not there yet.


I then played around with altering the black shades, making the sky a lot darker and the trees lighter and finally had an image that I was really happy with. An image from the finest cheese fuelled nightmares!






It has taken it so far from the original that to my mind this is now "art" rather than a photograph, but it does go to show what can be done with a bit of playing around.

Lessons Learned: Don't be disheartened with a set of average photos. Not only does it happen to everyone, but there is often something you can do about it.

Diet Diary: Still on a bit of a break. Starting to feel a little sluggish, so will try to get back on it again soon.

2 comments:

  1. Love what you've done with the tree and thanks for sharing how you did it....
    Will have to start playing with LR, hubby keeps nagging me to lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Janet. Lightroom is one of those things that is a bit scary to start, but once you get into it is fairly straightforward. Bit like driving!

    ReplyDelete