Saturday 1 August 2015

Still on my holidays

So the weather remained pretty dismal for the whole of the holiday. I spent an awful lot of time in Starbucks waiting for people, but in some ways it was nice. It was enforced relaxation. I had my new tablet with me and paid £15 for 4 days wi-fi (I know!) and blogged, facebooked and instagrammed like a proper teenager!
There were plenty of activities for the younger kids, but mine, 2 at 14 and 2 at 20 were way too cool for those! (Not all my kids I hasten to add, one from each age group were invited guests!) Although the 2 youngers did have a go at the pedalo swans which they thoroughly enjoyed in an "ironic cool teen way"





So, what else to do. Well hit the arcade of course! I can see why people get addicted to gambling. We only played the 2p slots and waterfalls to win tickets to get really rather tacky prizes, but we were all completely hooked and after the first night, I only took coins with me, no notes and certainly no plastic. We weren't the only ones. (Thats not me btw).





It was loud, colourful and absolutely packed and the sense of achievement when you won a handful of tickets was completely disproportionate to their actual value! By the end of the week the team had won 651 tickets, for which we got a bracelet, some Spongebob Squarepants bubbles, a flashing ball and a pirate ring. I'm not even going to think about how many 2ps were sacrificed in the winning of this treasure!





It was a fun place to take photos, although I did get some strange looks. So many bright lights and colours. Its a shame the photo can't capture the noise of the bells, whirring wheels and cascading coins.
For a change of pace we had an evening walk out to the nearby beach. Although "beach" is probably stretching it a bit. It was incredibly rocky with very little sand at all, but we caught a beautiful sunset so all was forgiven.





This pic is of Maisie following in her Mum's footsteps. Climbing down cliff edges and through the undergrowth to get that perfect shot but I have been told that I have relinquished the right to tell her to be careful as she has seen me do similar and indeed worse!






Finally we had a lovely warm afternoon and I decided to share my favourite spot in the UK, Hell's Mouth. Part of me wanted to keep it secret and special to me but the bigger part wanted my family to experience and enjoy it with me, so off we went. Beautiful blue skies, a light breeze and a calm sea. Gorgeous.






And the girls loved it as much as I do. No surfers today but plenty of paddlers, us all included and towards the end of the evening, even a fisherman.



 So all in all, a really good holiday. Plenty of time to chill, some photo opportunities, but most importantly, the chance to spend some real family time with my two gorgeous daughters. Shame their Dad missed out, but he had to work. Downside of being the only responsible adult in the family!

Lessons Learned: Gambling could be very addictive. I think the 2p machines are the gateway gamble, but before long the thrill would wear off and I would be looking towards the 10p slots. Which would lead to the 50p ones and I guess its a downward spiral after that! Best to avoid. Bet I can!

Diet Diary: Don't be daft, still on my holibobs

No comments:

Post a Comment