Friday 14 August 2015

Zipping - Part 2

After Beth and I had such an amazing time at the Llechwedd Zip World, we decided to go back and take the whole family. Also, I dug out my little black compact camera so that I could get some photos this time.
The weather forecast for the day was grim. With thunderstorms and rain working their way up through Wales and reaching us by lunchtime. Still the ride was open so we thought we would take a chance, besides I couldn't wait to be kitted out in the bright red jumpsuit again!

Stopped en route at Betws-y-coed for the obligatory coffee and cake. Well it wouldn't be a proper day out without it, now would it? On arriving at Llechwedd the carpark was full and so we were directed up to the overflow, and when I say up, I don't mean up a small incline, I mean up to almost the top of the hill we were about to zip down. Walking down wasn't too bad, but was dreading the walk back up!

Anyway, finally down, checked in, got re-acquainted with the Lady in Red and we were ready to go!





This is the view from the very top of the first zip. Its a long way up and the views are completely incredible. 



Not as clear as the first time we did this, but still no rain or really low cloud.
I let the other four go together first.








 I knew my husband and Ed, Beth's boyfriend would be fine, but was a little concerned about Maisie. Maisie has been my Peter Pan buddy. Neither of us liking the big rides and sticking to the safe stuff, but all the while I have been turning into a reckless daredevil she has been going through something similar herself. She was so excited about this and I was so proud that my little girl was also ready to throw herself off a mountain attached to a piece of wire (actually she's nearly 15 and will hate me for calling her my little girl publicly, but whats the point in being a Mum if you can't embarrass your kids every now and again!).







This photo was taken as they were about to be launched. These were all taken with my little pocket camera and was quite pleased with how they came out. Everything on automatic, a real point and click so no real photography skills in evidence here.




















I passed Maisie the camera at this point and asked her to take a photo of what she saw. You can see where the zip line goes, but the pic sort of loses it. You carry on over the little white road and end up at that grey rectangle just above it. This is the middle zip and is my personal favourite. You seem to get a bit closer to the ground and so really get a proper idea of just how fast you are going.

As expected the whole family loved the zips and for me it was as good as the first time. Although I didn't have the first time excitement, I also didn't have the first time fears and was really looking forward to it, knowing what was to come. You must ALL do this!

Different plan for the afternoon. On the same site is Bounce Below, an underground cavern filled with nets, trampolines, ladders and slides. We booked the kids in for a bounce session with Carl and I just spectating. Had to wimp out on this as I have a bit of a delicate back, but I could tell Carl was itching to have a go!






There are 4 different levels and it looked like completely ludicrous fun with as many adults as kids taking part.




It was really dark down there and so the photos are really high ISO and hand held, so please don't look too closely at the detail!

The only downside for me was that we were spectating in the cavern. And it was cold. Very cold. So much so that one of the attendants offered me a blanket!

All in all a completely amazing day. Beth and I are going to do velocity in September which is 100mph, face down and head first (think superman but without the tights). Can't wait!

And the car? Sent the driver back up to the top to drive down and pick us up at the bottom. No point in all of us having to tackle that climb. Thanks Carl!

Lessons Learned: Its hard to keep believing that I am a hardy and youthful pink haired adventurer when the handsome and helpful young man in the cavern thinks I am a frail old lady in need of a blanket!

Diet Diary: When I did this with Beth I was 1kg over the weight limit for needing a parachute. Determined this time to be below that! Didn't quite make it, was actually 3kg over this time. I blame the scone I had earlier, must have been heavier than it looked.

No comments:

Post a Comment