Saturday 16 January 2016

Week 2 Mountain hikes and minimalism

Determined this week to get out as much as possible before the threatened wintery weather appears. I am quite happy to hike in all sorts of conditions, but I do hate it when its icy. I have absolutely no sense of balance and it only takes the smallest patch of something slippy to send me head over heels. One of my life's regrets is that I have never been able to ice skate or roller skate, and that surfing will always only ever be a spectator sport. (Although if I am honest, that might be more to do with the thought of trying to squeeze myself into a wetsuit!)

So, with this in mind I head into the mountains. I knew there was snow on the higher ground but I thought I'd be ok. It is the most amazing approach, you turn a corner and suddenly the snow capped mountains are spread out in front of you. It is really completely breathtaking.




My photo doesn't do it justice at all, but if you want to see one that does, follow this link to see one of Stewart's. I can only aspire!

The weather was ok so I thought I would head to Llyn Idwal and walk around the lake to get some miles in, plus some wonderful photo opportunities. I had one of those brainwaves you have when it seems like such a good idea at the time. I parked at the very far end of Llyn Ogwen and walked a mile or so to the visitor centre at Llyn Idwal and then up to the bridge over the waterfall.





I love this bridge and the walk to Idwal is beautiful and quite forgiving to the lapsed hiker! In the dull light, the colours were very dramatic. I have tweaked a bit in Lightroom just to enhance the clarity, but haven't done a lot. Continued up to the lake which was looking fabulous.




However at this point the wind came up and it started to rain, as you can see from the splodges on the lens! Raindrops on roses, fine. Raindrops on lenses, not so much. So decision to make. Take a chance and walk round the lake or wimp out and head back to a flask of soup in the car. Wimped out.




Actually it was a good thing I did as the weather got steadily worse and I walked most of it in hail and horizontal wind. Now this is going to surprise regular readers, but I actually had a complete change of clothes in the car, all the way from ladies "unmentionables", to another coat (the one I bought last time I forgot a coat). So after a certain amount of undignified wriggling in a confined space (well you try changing trousers in a car!) I sat there warm and dry sipping on piping hot soup. Smug doesn't even come close!

On the way home I even managed to take a photo ready for Derelict Sunday on Blip. One of the disused farm buildings on the road from Capel Curig.





All in all a pretty fabulous day with well over 5 miles walked.

In the 52 in 2016 challenge, this week's theme is minimalism. I've never really had a go at this and not sure if I really understand the brief, but here is my effort.



It's hard enough trying to take a good photo with what's in front of you, but to have to put it there yourself in the first place is a whole new challenge. I had a go at a few different things but nothing worked until I found my bottles. It's the positive side effect of being a crafter and hoarder, there is all sorts of junk treasure in the house to shoot!

Lessons Learned: Remember to put the clean dry clothes back in the car for next time!
Never throw anything away as you never know when you might need to photograph it!

Diet Diary: Still feeling determined, so its going well. The trouble is that the hiking makes me hungry, so it's hard trying to find the balance.

Rambling Record: At the end of week 2 I have done nearly 47 miles, with a target of just 40, so well ahead. Gives me a bit of wobble room.

No comments:

Post a Comment