Sunday 24 January 2016

Week 3, seasides, sunshine and surf

Someone somewhere is smiling down on me. I have had 2 fabulous days out this week and the weather has been just perfect for both.
Wednesday found me with the opportunity to have a long day out so for a change I headed to Aberystwyth. I have only been there once, last July but didn't get the opportunity to really explore.
The day started off extremely cold, misty and frosty which made the journey incredibly beautiful. Just had to stop for this shot, the trees looked gorgeous but I just loved the little lone tree in the field behind. I have just softened the image a little in Lightroom and am very pleased with it.




By the time I got to Aberystwyth, the mist had cleared, leaving a beautiful blue sky and a wonderfully bright sun which lit up the colours of the houses.





I parked the furthest end of the promenade, by the harbour and walked the length of the sea front, then climbed to the top of the cliff shown in the following picture. Only had to stop to restart the breathing a couple of times. Definitely getting better. However, the views were worth it and the little white blob you can see on the horizon over the sea is actually Snowdon. Quite incredible!





So this was a completely fabulous day and what did I happen upon to make it just perfect? That's right. Surfers!



Because the day was bright, I was able to use a very short exposure to capture the moment. I tried manually focussing but I really wasn't quick enough. When I tried autofocus, it seemed to work most of the time. The trick is trying to predict which way they are going to head and I am definitely getting better at recognising the signs and enjoying the moment when the right wave forms.


This one I like because you can see the channel of water just carved out by the board. I shared the photos with the lad who was surfing (James) and one I took of his friend was posted on the Aber Surf Club F/B page! My fame is spreading.

I don't really know why surfing fascinates me. (Leaving aside the whole fit young men in skin tight outfits etc). It's not something I ever want to try but maybe its the feeling that I am watching the closest we would ever get to flying, the whole working together with the elements. I'm not sure, and if I ever come up with something that makes sense, I'll let you know.



And just to finish the day off perfectly, sunset! Don't know who the man is, but he stopped at exactly the right time and place!

2nd fabulous day out this week was to Llandudno, but I've wittered on too much about Aberystwyth to bore you with many details apart from to say that I had my climbing head on again and got up to the Great Orme Hill Fort and this is the view from it!





Lessons learned: I have learned this way, way, way too late, but photographing surfers is a very good way to meet handsome young men. Darn!

Diet Diary: Doing well, 7lb down! Combining the diet with the walking does seem to be doing the trick. Lets hope it continues for at least another few pounds!

Rambling Record: My target is to walk 20miles a week. At the end of week 3, with a target of 60miles, I have walked 74! Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment