Wednesday 3 March 2021

Knowsley Safari Park Big Cats Dec 2020

I have decided that it's about time that the blog got reawakened! Since losing all my photos a couple of years ago, I kind of lost interest, but a new fan has encouraged me to relook at it and maybe start it up again. I have been working on uploading as many photos as I still possess and I have actually been enjoying it, looking at the pictures and rereading my adventures. Sometimes, whilst sitting at home being safe in my jogging bottoms and cardi, I find it hard to believe that I am the same person that climbed Snowdon in the snow with Pink Hair!

So here goes, Dramatic and Dangerous Places to photograph for the Terminally Unfit and Navigationally Challenged Mark 2!

Well, it's been a funny old year hasn't it! Not too many dramatic and dangerous places visited since the beginning of 2020 but there have been a few, when restrictions permitted. I will over the next couple of posts chronicle some of my favourites. To misquote Eric, all the right places, but not necessarily in the right order!

First Stop, Knowsley Safari Park. For my birthday last year the girls bought me a Photography experience with the Big Cats at Knowsley. Had to postpone it a few times due to restrictions but finally I managed to get there December 2020.































On arrival I was given instructions on how to behave around the lions and also talked through some photography advise which was very useful. Then Janet, my guide, and I drove in her 4x4 to the lion enclosure. As I was part of the tour I was allowed to open my windows but she kept control of them in case I was so distracted by the photography that I missed one sneakily approaching for a look at the buffet! She spent most of the time counting lions to make sure they were all accounted for!






















It was exhilarating and quite unnerving to be so close to the lions. I asked Janet what would happen if I got out of the car. She said that they would be curious at first and come have a look and then probably play with me a little! However, if 2 of them liked the look of me, I might end up being divided between them! So I stayed in the car.





















This is Ted and is a fine example of why you don't upset the ladies! Looking a bit battle scarred!

He doesn't have a mane because he had to be neutered and apparently without the testosterone, the mane doesn't grow.


















The tour was brilliant, we spent over half an hour in the lion enclosure with Janet continually moving the car to get the best views of the lions whilst telling me about their history. It was truly fascinating and a completely magical experience.






















Part of the tour should have included the tigers too. They have 2 females at Knowsley but on the day I was there, a male was being brought in for a bit of romance so the ladies had more important things on their mind than posing for this amateur photographer! So, I get to go back, once everything is open again and I can't wait!

Lessons Learned: Apparently if you run a hand through a lion's mane not only will you probably not get your hand back, but it feels bristly and not as fab and fluffy as it looks. Might not try it then.

Diet Diary Yup it's back and lockdown has not been kind. So I am back to needing to lose at least 3 camera bags and as I now have a shiny new camera and lens which both weigh an absolute ton, a camera bag is a lot heavier than it used to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment