Saturday 20 March 2021

Not my finest moment

It's confession time. Have you ever done something that you know at the time is a very unwise thing to do? It's happened to me a lot but usually I am lucky enough to emerge unscathed. However, on this occasion I didn't.

Last February when we had all that awful flooding and Storm Persephone or whatever it was called, I arranged to go out for a photowalk. The howling winds and the water cascading over the road should have been warning enough, but I was determined to go.

I had to drive through Corwen and as I approached the town there was a lot of water across the road, but I got through ok. So armed with a completely false sense of security and no other sense whatsover, I drove into the rather large puddle outside the firestation. And got halfway.



The car judders a bit and then with an overly dramatic sputter decides, nah, not going any further, and stops.

So I am sat there wondering what on earth to do, but at least I am dry. Until the first of many huge lorries whizz past, rocking the car and sending the water level higher enabling about 4 inches of it to seep into the car. B<gger! To be honest it was actually a bit scary!

So I ring Green Flag who tell me that they can't do anything until the water recedes and because at that current moment it looked like it wouldn't be happening until Mid March I started to get a little bit upset. To which the Green Flag man replied "Well what do you expect me to do about it!" So I hung up.



About an hour later a proper Knight in Shining Armour in a Range Rover offered to tow me out. But I am ashamed to confess that I sort of went to pieces and panicked a bit and the poor chap was trying to tow a car in 1st gear with the handbrake on and a driver who was too ditsy to actually steer. So we bunny hopped narrowly missing the wall at the side of the road. Quite understandably, he left me there with the car parked up out of the road. I optimistically turned the key but my poor little fiesta was having absolutely none of it.

I was then given a lift to the other side of the impromptu lake by another samaritan in a Land Rover which was where I was rescued by my OH.

Eventually Green Flag came out and the car was towed to our local garage where it was pronounced DOA. So I salvaged whatever wasn't soaked, and the only piece of good luck was that I had put my camera bag on the seat rather than the footwell as I normally do, and so it kept safe and dry.

Lessons Learned: Puddles can be deceptive!

No comments:

Post a Comment