Tuesday 7 April 2015

Moel Famau and The Loggerheads

It's a beautiful day so I manage to persuade my husband Carl to come on one of my hikes with me. He seemed willing enough (he'll learn!) so we head out. Nice gentle stroll through the Loggerheads Country Park, near Mold.

At least that was the idea until we could barely get into the car park, never mind park. Tourist Season! So change of plan. Just along the road we had seen the sign for Moel Famau and although my previous experience with it hadn't been overly pleasant (see earlier blog post) we decided to go for it.





We start our ascent until we come to a fork in the path. To the left is a gradually sloping tarmac'd path. To the right, a steep gravelly track so no prizes for guessing which way he wanted to go! Still, the weather was gorgeous with a light cooling wind so I thought it wouldn't be too bad. It was steep but manageable with a few strategic pauses. 




However when we later came to another fork with a sign pointing to the left saying "slightly longer but more pleasant route" as opposed to the near vertical climb straight on, there was nearly a mutiny. I was eventually persuaded by the insistence that it was good training for Snowdon and "wouldn't I feel a huge sense of achievement that I had done the ascent the hard way!"



He was right on both counts of course, but it didn't make me like him any more at the time!

But eventually we got to the Jubilee Tower at the top and the views were incredible. 





The top was very busy of course, it being a beautiful day in the Easter Holidays. However, what amazed me was the number of pushchairs. I could barely push myself to the top, never mind a pram complete with infant. Takes a brave soul to attempt that!

I had decided not to take my camera bag with spare lenses, gadgets and tripod as the day was very bright and I thought I would be ok and its amazing how much difference not having a 10lb bag strapped to my back made with the hike. Made me realise that if I can lose this bit of excess weight I have, it will be even easier. I think the only way I can do that is never to go anywhere with a Cadwaladers!

So with a "huge sense of achievement that I had done the ascent the hard way" we headed down. Much easier of course.





When we finally got to the bottom, we decided to have another go at the Loggerheads and luckily were able to park this time. So after a refreshing iced coffee (and no cake) we set off again for another hike. This time a 4m round trip to the Devil's Gorge which wasn't overly impressive at Gorge's go, but a lovely walk all the same.





Not overly inspired by the photographs today as it was mainly forest walks and flat vistas, but they are ok. Can't be art every trip! Still, a total of over 14,500 steps and 6 1/2 miles today. Can't be bad!


Lessons Learned: Its annoying to have to, but every now and then you have to listen to your husband as very occasionally, he is actually right!


No comments:

Post a Comment