Saturday 18 April 2015

Pontcysyllte aqueduct and Chirk Castle

I had hoped that as I get out more that my enthusiasm would be boundless, but I must confess to almost having a bit of a lapse yesterday.

I had the day planned, aqueduct then Chirk Castle. Got to the former and was sitting in the car listening to the radio, Josh Groban singing February Song live and I had to wait until it had finished. It had got a bit chilly outside, but the car was warm and comfy, the music great and I had a flow of laziness wash over me. I had planned to walk the aqueduct as the gardens at Chirk don't open until 10am, so it was sort of killing time, and the thought did cross my mind that I could kill time just as well at home with my feet up and a nice cup of coffee and a biscuit!

Not sure what finally convinced me to get up off my seat, whether it was the thought that I have 2 camera bags in weight to lose, or that I knew I'd regret it if I didn't, but with a burst, I got out of the car and walked to the aqueduct. So glad I did, as I always enjoy the walks.

I am getting used to the height now and actually enjoy the walk. I have visited many times and the challenge today was to try to make the pictures look a bit different to all the others.




Took this with the telephoto, leaning against the railings to steady the camera. Bit of cropping but not too much processing.






This one however, I have processed with vigour! Cropped, straightened, tinted, aged and generally enhanced and am really pleased with it. What do you all think? Could I have gone further or is it too much.

So off to Chirk Castle. I decided as it was a lovely bright day, if a little breezy, that I would concentrate on the grounds rather than the castle itself and there are some hidden gems.



This gate led from one part of the gardens into deep woodlands and it gave me the impression that things would be completely different the other side. Unfortunately it was locked, so I will never know.

On my travels I have found some benches in the most gorgeous settings. I think I will have to start a Facebook page of Benches in Interesting or Beautiful Places. This might be my cover pic.




I have an opinion to share and I am not sure how many will agree, but I detest topiary with a passion. There is a gorgeous form and beauty in nature, so why would you want to make it square.






There was what looked like a random planting of daffodils in front of those hideous boxes and I know which I would rather look at.

There are many parts to the gardens at Chirk, with many secluded walled gardens which were sheltered and delightful where I found these.







I know its all very chocolate box and probably not "art" but I thought they were really pretty.

I did have a quick walk around the Castle and the state rooms are gorgeous of course, but that's not really where my interests lie at the moment. Although I did notice a lamp and the gorgeous patterns it threw out.



Lessons Learned: Sometimes I need to give myself a stern talking to so that I get up off my bottom and don't slip back into old ways. I realise now that it could happen all too easily. But I also have to accept that there are some times when I really won't feel like it and so mustn't beat myself up too much! Its all about getting the right balance.

When exploring, get off the beaten track and explore all the nooks and crannies, and don't forget to look up!

Avoid listening to Josh Groban.

Diet Update: I am thinking that if I have to post how the diet is going, it might help me stick to it better, so this will be a regular bit at the end of a post.

My camera bag weighs 10lb and I reckon I have 2 to lose, so this is my progress.

Camera Bag 1 (10lb) 4.5lb down, 5.5lb to go.
Camera Bag 2 (10lb) Not started.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Great shots and blog, keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Adrian. Much appreciated

      Delete
  2. Agree about the topiary, unless it looks like something interesting like an elephant or squirrel. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovey! We will have to start a campaign. BUTT. Ban Unsightly Topiary Trees

      Delete