Thursday 30 April 2015

Snowdon Conquered!

I did it! Got to the top of Snowdon. Can't quite believe it and if it wasn't for the fact that I can barely move this morning, I'd think I'd dreamed it!

It was a very spur of the moment decision. Woke up in the morning and decided to go for it. I have been making excuses for ages why I couldn't do it, but no more.

Got to the base about 11am and saw that there was still snow at the top which might change things, but I thought I would just see how far I could go whilst keeping safe.

The weather was perfect, bright but not hot so I set off up the Miners Path. I really like this path, I may have mentioned before that it is very forgiving of an inexperienced walker and the scenery of course is breathtaking.






I had more or less emptied my backpack of everything except food, just bringing my camera but no spare lenses or tripod as this trip was about the hike. 

I had previously got as far as Llyn Glaswyn, the top lake on the approach to the summit, which was a bit less than half way up. It seemed easier getting to it this time, which was very gratifying and I really started to think that I could do it. Although looking up at the mountain, the top seemed an awful long way off.







From here the climb started to get a lot more difficult. I soon hit snow which made the going a lot slower, but in some ways I think that might have helped because it made me take my time. I stopped quite a few times to rest and get my breath back, but I wasn't in a hurry. 

A couple of times I almost lost the path, but there were a couple of groups climbing, so I just waited, pretending to take photos, until they'd passed, then followed them!

I hope this doesn't sound mean, but it was very gratifying to see people half my age wheezing with the climb, more so than I was! I think all this time that I have been underestimating my capabilities!

Finally passed the intersection with the Pyg track, then on to where it meets the Llanberis Path.





The views are simply spectacular and from this point for the first time I could see the views of the other side of the mountain. Unfortunately before I could take a picture, the cloud dropped and I could see nothing.

Visibility was about 20ft, but I felt that it was safe enough to go on, having come so far. It was slippy underfoot and I think if I hadn't had my hiking sticks with me, I'd have ended up sitting on more than one occasion. The closer I got to the top, the stronger the winds became until it felt like they were guarding the summit and were trying to blow the intruder off her feet!

But I persevered and I got there!





The above plaque is on a plinth at the top of some steps and I clung to it for about 5 mins because the wind had got so strong that I couldn't stand and I had the feeling that I might soon be finding a very quick way to the bottom! It was the only time on any of my travels that I have felt genuinely scared. 
The wind briefly dropped and I was able to get down the steps, but I had a decision to make. I didn't think I would safely make it back down the miners track as it was pretty scary climbing up. If I followed the Llanberis track, it would be easier, but I would end up miles from the car.

But this time, for once in my life, common sense and self preservation kicked in and I followed the Llanberis Path.

It was certainly easier, but good heavens its long! About 4.5m, which might not seem too long, but when you have just climbed a mountain, its long. I had snow still until about half way down, then it got easier. However, I really started having trouble with my knees and by the time I got to the end, I was in quite a bit of pain.

Just when I thought I would struggle to go much further, I saw a sign "Taxis booked from here". Almost cried!

It was a fabulous tea house called Pen Ceunant (www.snowdoncafe.com) and I was welcomed by the owner Steve who was amazing. After sending me off to freshen up, he booked me a taxi and then made me a cup of tea free of charge! He said it would be the best cup of tea I have ever had, and after all that walking, it certainly was.

The Tea House is a gorgeous building. All roaring fires and 18th Century furnishings. He caters for walkers, which he welcomes, and if you are doing the Llanberis Path, you can park for free there and he doesn't mind if you sit and eat your own sandwiches. I can't recommend him highly enough.


So feeling refreshed, completely chuffed and amazed with myself, I got the taxi back to the car about 9 miles away!

Lessons Learned: I am generally a coffee drinker, but sometimes only a nice cup of tea will do.

I can actually do anything I set my mind to. No more believing that I can't. Now if only I can apply the same mindset to the diet!

Diet Diary
Camera bag 1 - 5 1/4lb lost 4 3/4 to go

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making it to the top. That was a wise decision to take the long way down even at the cost of your knees and a taxi fare. There comes a time when you realise it's not worth taking chances, especially as I presume, you were on your own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike. I think I had made the decision half way up that I wasn't going to go down the same way. I shall climb again later in the year so that I can. You were right, I was on my own, but there are always many people around, so I felt safe enough, once I was brave enough to let go of the plinth!

      Delete
  2. Loving the blog - especially the techy things you're learning and not too afraid how they confused you and how you sought out to learn - big help for a lot of people - keep it going x - I have loads of Ebooks on photography if you'd like to download them and have a look just let me know :-)

    ReplyDelete