Tuesday 14 April 2015

Precipice Walk and Harlech

Managed to gain back control of the camera and the blog. I think Beth got a liking for both and I love what she wrote so I am sure I will be persuading her to do another guest spot over the Summer!

Had another opportunity for a day out today so decided to revisit the Precipice Walk near Dolgellau.

For those who have read my earlier posts, you will remember that I got completely lost finding the start of this walk when in fact it is totally straightforward. So with new confidence I set out. So confident in fact that when a couple of hikers asked for directions to the start, I was able to give them. Poor things are probably still wandering around the Precipice with mutterings of "now which way did she say?"

The walk starts off following the lake, as before, but there is a lot more lake than there was last time so I guess it is a seasonal thing. 


























Most of the walk is quite gentle, with no really serious inclines, but the paths are incredibly uneven so no good for someone not too steady on their feet. I just about managed, even with my serious lack of balance!







Once you get past the lake and start to climb, the views just open up and it is incredible. Today I had the most amazing clouds literally rolling over the mountains and you can see for miles.

I had packed my ND lenses today and was going to play around with long exposures, but was so entranced by the walk and the scenery, I completely forgot to get them out. Call myself a serious photographer!?






You turn the first corner and there is the Mawddach Estuary in front of you. The photos will never do justice to the scenery, so all I can do is recommend you try this walk if you are in the area. Apparently there is a 9 mile walk following the estuary, but it is one way and I always wonder where you park and if you have to walk the 9 miles back to get to the car again. Anyone know?






And isn't this the best place in the World for a bench!




Last time I did this walk I came across a sign pointing to the Glasdir Copper Mine. I am liking derelict industrial buildings at the moment so thought this time I would go find it. Copper Mine, got to at least be a big hole in the ground with abandoned buildings, surely. Well if it was, I couldn't find it. Walked for about 2 miles through forestry land, mostly steeply downhill, until I came to a closed farm gate. After Anglesey I am a little wary of farmers, so decided to relinquish my search. Will have to google it later to see what it actually is. The climb back up was no fun at all, making me realise yet again that I am nowhere near fit enough for Snowdon.

Because it was cloudy all day, the colours in almost all photographs have needed a little tweaking, but don't think they have come out too bad. Kept the camera on around f11 most of the time to hopefully get a good depth of field and found I was doing a lot of "point and click" which was quite nice for a change.

So back to the car for a quick snack of black coffee and a banana. Diet started today so no Cadwaladers! Decided I want to start by losing 10lb which is the weight of my backpack. For those interested, I will do a very brief progress report each post.

Felt the need for a beach, so as I was revisiting places today, I decided to head back to the beach near Harlech. Took a lovely sunset photo there last time so not been there in proper daylight.






Its a beautiful beach, almost divided in two. You walk from the car park and on the right there are stones and huge rocks, on the left there is a gorgeous sandy beach. Investigated the rocks first with a view of doing a 2 minute beach clean. Harlech is actually a very clean beach which is probably just as well as I had forgotten to take a bag and had to put everything I found into my hat!

Found this incredible piece of beach art.




I walked up to the sandy beach and did what I have been wanting to do for absolutely ages. Took my wellies off, rolled my trousers up and paddled barefoot! And I wasn't the only one.






So happy, weary (17,589 steps) and every so slightly hungry made my way home.

Lessons Learned: Got to do my research first before going off exploring.

Its still too darn cold to paddle, feet went a lovely bluish tinge!

Black coffee and a banana doesn't fill you up like a Cadwaladers snack does.

No comments:

Post a Comment