Monday 23 February 2015

Chirk Aqueduct

Having worked all weekend, felt in need of a walk today but the forecast hadn't given great weather so decided to stay reasonably local and visit Chirk Aqueduct. This is a beautiful structure, standing 70ft high and overlooking some lovely countryside.







I have visited the aqueduct a few times before, but never been brave enough to tackle the Darkie Tunnel. At 421 metres long, it is a bit scary to say the least. But armed with this new sense of adventure I seem to have found, I ventured forth!

It is certainly very dark in the middle and my little torch didn't throw out a lot of light, just enough to get me through and out the other side. Did it, don't want to do it again! Decided to follow the road above the tunnel on the way back. 

I am not sure how far you can follow the canal for but I walked for just under 2 miles to the Chirk Marina. However, in this short time the weather threw everything it had at me. I had gorgeous blue skies and sunshine, then it rained, sleeted and snowed on me, finally finishing off with very strong winds! Certainly an unbelievable mix of weathers, but I am glad to say that I wasn't the only person daft enough to be out in it!

The changing weather meant the light quality was a bit hit and miss, but I was able to do a bit of tweaking on Lightroom to bring out the colours. Still exposing for the lighter areas which seems to be working for me, but still so much to learn!.

Lessons Learned: Be brave, but don't overdo it!


No comments:

Post a Comment