Wednesday 18 February 2015

Cwm Idwal and Horseshoe Pass

Haven't been able to get out for what seems like an age. So determined to do something today. I have unsuccessfully attempted Cwm Idwal twice before, so today was going to be third time lucky!
Stopped off in Betws-y-coed for the obligatory coffee and cake in Cadwaladers and I was on my way. It had been really drizzly but by the time I got to Llyn Ogwen it had stopped.
In practically all the How To videos I have been watching on You Tube for Lightroom, they recommend shooting in Raw. Now I don't really understand it completely, but I think that the general theory is that in jpeg your camera makes a few adjustments for you, but in Raw it doesn't so you have more control in editing. If that is wrong, I do hope someone will tell me.
So anyway, set the camera to Raw and away I went.





I have been playing around with Lightroom for a few days and even on the basic level that I have got to, I am so pleased with the results. I don't completely change a picture, because I'm still not sure I like the over produced look, but bring out the colours and definition. 



















One of the videos suggested that you set your exposure for the sky as it is easier to lighten the shadows than add definition in a burnt out sky, so something else to try today.



















The plan today was to walk all the way around the lake, but as I climbed up towards it, it seemed that with every step I took the wind speed increased by 1mph so by the time I got to it, I could barely stand. So head down, shoulders hunched, hat gripped I started walking around the lake until I had the realisation that I wasn't actually enjoying this at all. The whole point of this new hiking and photography lark was to have fun. And I wasn't. So I turned round and headed back down again. I've been out in worse conditions than this before and always found it exhilarating but maybe today wasn't going to be one of those days. Maybe 4th time lucky?

So the plan was to have an early evening and edit some photos. As I was travelling home via Llangollen, the sky started doing some very beautiful and dramatic things, so I detoured via Horseshoe Pass and took the following pictures.



Can anyone else see the SS Enterprise in the one below, or is it just me?


So I had a play around with them on the computer and to be perfectly honest, couldn't tell the difference between Raw and Jpeg, but that is probably because I am a beginner don't really know what to look for. But I do see the difference in exposing for the sky as I have found a lot more definition there.


Lessons Learned: If its not fun, don't do it! You are not always going to be in the mood for adverse conditions so don't let it become a chore.

Experiment!



3 comments:

  1. With sunsets try this little trick in Lightroom. Increase the temperature to warm the photograph up. Next adjust the Tint towards the purple, not too much, enough to bring out the colour a bit more.

    Finally have a look at using the Graduated Filter on the sky. Double click Effect to zero all the settings. Then drop the Exposure slightly, increase Contrast, use Highlights, Shadows and Clarity as required. You should see a difference in your sky now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learnt a long time ago. If it's blowing down by the waterfall it will be worse up at the top. I was there with my son and his partner just before Christmas. My son's partner nearly got blown off the path just a little bit after the wooden bridge where it really starts to rise. We turned back at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mike. Will certainly have a go at that.

    ReplyDelete