Tuesday 10 February 2015

Llyn Ogwen and Llyn Idwal

It used to be difficult to get motivated to go out when you look out the window and it is foggy and drizzly. Not anymore. I so relish the idea of a day out that it doesn’t really matter about the weather. Ok, so I might not get some great photos but that isn’t the only reason I go out. It’s not for “exercise” as that is a pretty uninspiring reason to be doing anything. I think its just a new found love of discovery. Of what I am capable of personally and also what treasures this beautiful Country offers.


So anyway, I venture out in the fog and rain and head for Llyn Ogwen again. I know I was there only recently, but I have seen other people’s photos of it and want to look at it from a different perspective. In the crafting world this is called “scraplifting” but I think everyone else just calls it copying!


(I do of course stop on the way in Betws-y-coed at Cadwaladers for coffee accompanied by rhubarb and cherry cake. That is 4 down and 4 to go! When I was young I always wanted to marry someone called Cadwalader as I thought it such a fantastic name.)


It was misty most of the way, then suddenly the fog drops and you see the mountains peeping over the top of it, it is quite surreal and so beautiful.








When I get to Llyn Ogwen practically all the snow has gone, so I feel it is now possibly safe to do the walk up to Llyn Idwal. Actually, I feel like a proper hiker now as I have an official hiking stick! 


















I go past the lovely waterfall, but no icicles this time.





The path is slippery in places, but manageable. I get to the lake relatively unscathed and it is so lovely. It is still mostly frozen and there is some snow still on the surrounding mountains. It is cold of course and eerily peaceful.
I got about halfway round the lake before I was advised to turn back as the path had become very icy and treacherous. Apparently, I now need crampons, and I thought walking was supposed to be free!







I took a few photos, but with it being dull and misty, wasn’t sure how they were going to turn out. Some I am pleased with, some not so much, but even if they are not “art” these photos are a memento of a fun day out and a beautiful place visited, after all, isn’t that what photos should be?
So, will have to leave it for a couple of weeks, but I am determined to do the whole walk one day soon. 




One thing I have noticed is that hikers and photographers seem generally to be a friendly bunch who will always give you a smile and a hello. I think it could be the shared lunacy of walking up mountains in rain and fog, but whatever the reason, if you should come across a lady in her middle years in a bright turquoise jacket who is pretending to take photos when she is actually trying to catch her breath, say hello, as it could be me!


Lessons learned: An outing doesn’t have to be just about the photographs, and the photographs don’t have to be art. Keep your camera handy and be prepared for a sudden change in conditions.
Carry an official hiking stick, it makes you feel like you look like you know what you are doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment