Thursday 5 February 2015

Llyn Ogwen

Back to Snowdonia today and an attempt at the Cwm Idwal walk from my Snowdonia App. However, when I got to the starting place at the Ogwen Centre and saw everyone else with their crampons, ice picks, ropes and St Bernards, I thought that perhaps I wasn't really prepared for that type of walk/climb. Maybe in the Spring.

However, the walk starts off by Llyn Ogwen and the road follows the length of it, so I decided to do this instead.






The scenery is breathtaking. The lake is situated in a valley and has snow covered mountains on either side. You can walk the whole length on the road, just getting out the way of occasional traffic, and it is completely flat, making an easy walk for the unfit amongst us.




The lake was frozen in places and the snow on the paths about 4" deep and it all felt very arctic! On the way back I met a very helpful fellow photographer who suggested I have a go at the start of the original walk, just up to the bridge and waterfall. So I decided to have a look, after all what is the worst that could happen, apart from falling and breaking some bones, or worse still, the camera!
Its only a short walk up some steps, but they were covered in compacted ice, so slippery doesn't even come close. Anyway, I made it and so glad I did. This is my favourite photo that I took. 1/10 second exposure to try to get the clarity of the icicles and the movement of the water behind them.




The walk down was horrendous. I have even less sense of balance than I do sense of direction so it was very slow and tentative. I stopped every time someone else was about so there was no one to witness the humiliation of me possibly tumbling base over apex. Good thing about having a camera, you can pretend you are taking pictures!
The snow had seeped through my so called waterproof boots but luckily I have learned from previous episodes to have spare trainers, wellies and socks in the car.



Next stop on my day was Lake Padarn in Llanberis. I have seen some gorgeous pictures taken across the lake of Snowdon and wanted to have a go. 



I follow a couple of Facebook groups of North Wales photography and the inspiration is endless.






Final stop of the day was Sunset at Trefor. I had been there the once before when Stewart and I went Chasing Waves. Such a completely different atmosphere this time. Absolutely no one about, very calm water and the light beginning to dim. I followed the headland walk along the cliffs for a while until it started getting dark and I realised that it probably wasn't the safest thing to be doing! Back along the beach for a while and waited for the sun to set.






Lessons Learned: Look for the detail in the big picture.
My waterproof hiking boots can not cope with 4"of snow.
You can't drive in wellies.

3 comments:

  1. Sharon, we must have met yesterday if all but briefly. I was out with Adrian yesterday and was waiting for him at the information centre. I think we said hello then. Did you walk up to the bridge with him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did. I wasn't originally going to there as I wasn't sure I had the right gear on to start the walk, but he persuaded me and I am so glad he did. I really like your Mr Grumpy blog. Very entertaining

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only just made the connection! It was you who suggested in my last post about trying that walk. What a coincidence to actually meet on it!

    ReplyDelete