Wednesday 28 January 2015

Torrent Walk

Today's outing was to cross another walk off the list on my Snowdonia App. This is the Torrent Walk. It starts off in Brithdir, just outside of Dolgellau and you follow the River Clywedog down through its gorge, via a series of beautiful waterfalls.

The directions on the App are very good, as long as you read them properly. If you follow the A470 North and turn right for Brithdir, like I did, please don't be surprised if you don't find the walk. The directions actually say follow it South and turn left. I really shouldn't be let out by myself!






It is a gorgeous walk. There is a purpose built path running alongside the river which makes it easy walking. It follows the water through many twists and turns, over waterfalls and through some very rough water. The noise is deafening but there is something very "at one with nature" about it all.




I had a play around with shutter speeds to vary the movement of the water. I found that the focussing needs to be completely spot on or the whole image looks blurred. I have live view on my camera, and with it you are able to zoom in to a small part of the image and focus that, then zoom out. I found it made all the difference.






The walk to the bottom is a lovely downhill hike for just over a mile where you cross a bridge to return on the other side of the river. But just remember to pace yourself because until they build a lift, you have a not so nice uphill trek to face on the way back.

I finished off the day with another visit to Criccieth. Isn't it strange how you find an affinity with one place and keep being drawn back. On my fitbug I had only done 7000 steps on the hike so had another 3000 to before I was allowed to come home! Walked along the beach and took the following 2 pictures. I think one is an alien being and the other the most charming piece of natural art I have ever seen.





Lesson Learned: What goes down must eventually go back up again.
Look for art in the most unlikely of places




No comments:

Post a Comment