Thursday 22 January 2015

Hells Mouth December

At the moment, I have 3 favourite places to be. Criccieth beach, Snowdonia and Hell's Mouth. A year ago that list would have read Hobbycraft, Starbucks and bed. How things change.

Hells Mouth is a secluded bay on the tip of the Lleyn Peninsula and it is the place to go for some extreme waves in the right conditions. I had been once before but the waves were calm. It is a gorgeous atmospheric beach and I have yet to see another soul on it in the 3 times I have visited.










However, it's certainly something else there when the waves are high as they were for my next visit. When I emerged from the path from the car park it was another Wow moment. Never seen anything like it. It was like a wall of moving water, absolutely incredible. So I turned left and walked along the beach as far as I could. It wasn't raining but the wind was so strong I could barely stand still. The tripod wasn't much use because of the wind, so I upped the ISO, opened the aperture and had the shutter speed as short as possible. Yet again didn't see another living soul on the beach.




 
I am heading back to do the other side of the beach when I have the brainwave of getting a little closer to try and take a photo along the waves rather than in front. Big mistake. I don't know how I misjudged it so badly but I did and ended up with water up to my knees. I didn't need the whistle as I think my shrieks could be heard in the next county and you certainly won't ever have seen me move so fast! So I compose myself, find somewhere to sit and pour the water out of my boots and wring my socks out and put bare feet back in my boots. Not pleasant at all.





 

             
Decided to do a bit of exploring before I leave and head up and across the sand dunes. Spent a very happy couple of hours just wandering up and down the beach. I think a deserted beach with a wild sea and gale force winds is my new favourite place to be.                
 
By some fluke I had brought a spare pair of jeans with me so thought I would quickly change in the car but when I got back to it, a family of 8 had arrived and were milling around. I know they were probably sightseeing but me without my trousers is probably not what they had in mind so I had to sit in the car, wet, dripping and squelching while they sorted themselves out! You see, this is what happens when I am let out alone! I seem to have to remove more clothing after one of these trips than is entirely appropriate!

Lessons Learned: Always carry a complete change of clothes in the car with you.
Buy wellies.

2 comments:

  1. That first image is really something else! As a newcomer to your blog it's probably my favourite so far... Stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It is one of my favourite places and it's nice to take a photo that I hope does it justice

      Delete