Tuesday 20 January 2015

Snowdon October 20th


On my last venture I didn't manage to get to Snowdon so thought today that I would try to find it. (Highest point in Wales, even I should be able to find it!) The idea was to take a few pics from the base and then move on. However, once I got there, I felt the urge to climb coming on. Had a look at the Pyg track but common sense prevailed and I decided that might be a bit adventurous for me at the moment. Although I have been walking upright for an undisclosed amount of years, for the purposes of the Pyg, I am a beginner.



                                          
 
So I followed the Miners Track which was a bit more forgiving of my inexperience. The scenery on the way up is breathtaking and every time I went round a corner, a whole new vista opened up. It almost seemed unreal, so I just had to keep going. The wind was extremely strong, up to 70mph I believe and it drizzled a bit, but on the whole it was manageable. Besides, I have new waterproof trousers now!


 

I am loving waterfalls at the moment, and with all the recent rain, they were everywhere. The sound was incredible. Its a shame you can't put a soundtrack to photos. 




I followed the track up to Llyn Glaslyn and this bit was probably the hardest. Very steep, long and quite uneven. I followed it to the intersection with the Pyg Track which according to my Snowdonia App (hope you are impressed that not only do I know what an App is, but that I actually have one!) is a 3 mile walk and halfway up the mountain. I decided that this was probably far enough for my first time, so headed back.


 

                                          
One of the best things about it all is the solitude. Apart from a few random hikers and a couple of school parties, there was barely anyone around. (With the weather forecast, they all probably had more sense than me!). I found that it was wonderful just being able to concentrate on the walking and letting my mind wander wherever it wanted to go.
 



Deep thoughts were being had, so much so that I sometimes forgot to take photos!
 
Lessons Learned: Keep a hairbrush in your camera bag if the wind is likely to be wild. There's only one person the Ken Dodd look suits and that isn't going to be you.
Don't make it all about the photos. Remember to really appreciate what is before you, so that when you see the photos, they bring back real memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment