Wednesday 21 January 2015

Llanberis Slate Museum December 2014

Had another attempt at Llanberis Slate Museum. Purse.. check, hair brush.. check. All set.

It is the most amazing drive to get from home in Shropshire to Llanberis. You go through Llangollen, Corwen, Betws-y-Coed and Capel Curig. You skirt the base of Snowdon and then through the Llanberis Pass. It would be worth going even if I just got there and turned round and came home again. The scenery is completely incredible.

The museum itself is set in the original workshops of the Dinorwig Slate Quarry and it is a fascinating place. You can spend hours just wandering around the machinery and getting a real feel for the atmosphere. You can go into the engine sheds where they worked on the trains that transported the slate which was fabulous. Tried to get some moody shots in there, but the tinsel wrapped around the train disturbed the ambience somewhat. Actually the inflatable Snowmen in the furnace room were probably worse! That's the trouble with Christmas, too much cheerfulness! Still, I think I managed to crop most of that out!            


  
 
At one end is a huge waterwheel which powered the whole factory. It was surrounded by a metal fence so I wasn't able to get a clear shot which was a shame. But the workrooms are just crammed with the most amazing tools and gadgets and I need to get back there. I had been set a challenge by a friend and I was focussing on photographing movement. It is sometimes a good idea to go somewhere with a definite purpose, it kind of focusses the mind. This is somewhere I can see myself going often, plus its handy to have a wet weather outing available.



This is one of my favourite pictures of the trip and I really don't know why. I call it the Duck Billed Telephone. Sometimes the most bizarre things work as a picture. The only editing I have done to it is to add a bit of a vignette. Trying to keep thinking about the Rule of Thirds and resist the temptation to put it slap bang in the centre!





Second attempt at "Movement". So lucky the bird was there when I was aiming!.


                 
While there, I was befriended by a workman who insisted on showing me all the best places to take photos and although I managed to lose him after a while, he caught up with me as I was about to leave. It was actually he who told me about the slate pool. It is so hidden away that if you didn't know it was there, you wouldn't know it was there. I walked through this low slate tunnel but when I came out the other side, it was a real wow moment. Never seen anything like it. Surrounded on all sides by this slate hill with a treacherously deep pool in the middle. I am so sad the pics weren't better, but I do still have the memory of course.




 
After leaving that, I found a hill to clamber up. (Its only a good trip if I can clamber up something). I was then overlooking the buildings and saw how close it was to the lake. So that was my next stop.


 Lessons Learned: Its an old clichéd saying, but its true. Enjoy the Journey!
Photograph the bizarre. If it doesn't work, delete it. But who knows...!

No comments:

Post a Comment