Thursday 22 January 2015

Chasing Waves January 2015

A storm was about to hit and the seas were predicted to be rough so Stewart and I decide to go Chasing Waves!

I start off in Abersoch, getting there for sunrise and yes, that did mean a completely ungodly hour to get up in the morning.










Next stop, Hell's Mouth where the waves were expected to be extreme, 10 - 12ft! The sea was a bit wild, but I think someone exaggerated a bit!






So plan B. Porth Ceiriad. And oh Wow, what a place. Here were the extreme waves. Here was nature at her most dangerous. The wind was so strong we could barely stand and the noise from the sea was deafening and I have never had an experience like it!



















It was so cold, but I have learned from past experiences that you need layers and plenty of them (3 on my legs and 5 on the rest of me). Top that off with a woolly hat with earflaps and I'm afraid to say that I didn't look at my most glamorous. Its a difficult call when you are on a field trip with a handsome young man. Glamour or warmth? Its probably a sad indication of the time I have reached in my life when warmth won without too much of a struggle.

When looking back at my photos I think I should have used a shorter shutter speed. I got a lot of movement on the camera because of the intense winds. I think I would have got a bit more definition. The tripod kept being blown over so I had to make sure I had a firm grip on the camera at all times.






With reluctance we left Porth Ceiriad and drove to Trefor where there were people surfing. It is very much on my To Do list to take a good photo of a surfer and although I took plenty, none were good. I have never seen anyone surf before and it is fascinating. The patience needed to wait for the right wave, the agility and balance to get up on the board, and then to be able to cruise in on the wave. Incredible stuff. But no, not tempted. Its still freezing cold water and a rubber jumpsuit. Will stick to trying to photograph it.




But what a fantastic day, some amazing locations, great company and some cracking photos!

Lessons Learned: You can't look alluring when you have doubled your body weight in thermal layers, so don't even try.




No comments:

Post a Comment