Wednesday 18 March 2015

Criccieth and Hells Mouth

I know that you are probably thinking "doesn't she know how to get anywhere else?" Well there were 2 reasons for heading for Criccieth. Firstly, it was a damp, drizzly and misty morning so I didn't think it safe to go mountain hiking. Secondly, I haven't been able to get out for a few days and Criccieth seems to be my "go to" place when I am in need of a bit of a lift. So off I went.

So after the mandatory coffee and cake at Cadwaladers (Banana and white chocolate today, for a change, Scrumptious) I hit the beach.

On the journey there the clouds had parted and the sun had come out and it was actually glorious and quite warm. So I shed a couple of layers and walked. The tide was really far out and I was able to walk further than I had before. There is a bit of headland jutting out which had always been cut off but I was able to walk around it and found caves! 






I had no idea they were there so had to explore. Its a strange formation and reminded me very much of the old photos you used to get of the circus when they used to make elephants stand with their front legs on the back of the elephant in front. Can you see that? No? Only me then.






Criccieth just keeps getting better and better. The beach on this side is firm and compacted and you can actually park on it, so that is something to investigate for the summer.




The colours in the rocks were completely gorgeous and the beautiful bright weather made them a joy to photograph. No need for a tripod as I could keep my settings tight.


So after a well earned rest (sunbathing, stretched out on the beach, in March!!) I decided to head onwards. Only one place to go for me now, Hells Mouth.




The last surf forecast I had seen hadn't predicted good waves so I wasn't expecting to see anyone there, but things had changed and it seemed like a surfer convention had landed. At one point there were 15 in the water. The waves had picked up and with it being such a beautiful bright day, the colour in the water was glorious.






I kept the camera on manual focus and a very quick shutter speed, this way I had full control of the movement and was able to get some pictures that I was very pleased with.


















I stayed probably a couple of hours, just watching and photographing. There was something very special about sitting on a warm, gorgeous but wild beach watching these graceful young men. Thoroughly recommend it for topping up zen levels. 

I stayed there until the sun started to set, spreading a golden glow across all the colours. I used the tripod here and an HD filter just so I could get the sun in the shot.






Another completely amazing day. Can't believe how lucky I was with the weather. 

This last picture has no artistic merit, is not an action shot or particularly good, but I kind of like it. Sorry.







Lessons Learned: I think I could develop a fondness for fit young men in skin tight rubber, and that's without even reading "that book"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment