Monday 9 March 2015

Its Official and Llangollen

I am now officially in training for walking up Snowdon. I have taken advice from 2 experienced, helpful and fit young men (thank you Stewart and Simon) and I actually think I might be able to do it. Timescale is sometime this year, preferably before the summer, but I'm not going to rush this. Still need to do an awful lot of work before I am even halfway ready, but it gives me something to aim for.

So to start off the training today I decided to go for a hike.

I was going to do some walking up Horseshoe Pass, but the weather was awful and I have previously been caught up a hill in the wind and rain and it's not pleasant (see Moel Famau).

So decided to go the more sheltered route and headed to the Horseshoe Falls, just outside of Llangollen. Again, been living round here for over 20 years and never been here. Such a lot of missed opportunities. If I'd started with the whole photography/hiking stuff earlier, I'd have done Snowdon by now and probably be half way up Everest!









Playing around with slower shutter speeds on this to give the water a more silky look. The tripod and the live view for focussing are essential for this, as are the reading glasses!

There is then a 2m hike where you are following the river and the canal into Llangollen.

For almost all of the walk it is drizzling, but I have my turquoise waterproof coat so am staying reasonably toasty. Its not a hard walk as it is mostly flat, but it is a reasonable distance and I'm sure that if I hadn't stopped for coffee and welsh cakes half way through, it would have done me a lot of good!

Still, better weather forecast tomorrow, so something a bit more exciting planned! Watch this space.

Lessons Learned: I get to talk to so many more young men since taking up these hobbies, should have done it years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment