Thursday 26 March 2015

Mini adventure - Day 1

I had been given the opportunity to have a few days away from home. Just me and the camera, so the last few weeks have involved meticulous planning and many changes of destination. I finally decided on Anglesey as there is so much to see there and my earlier visits had only just touched the surface.

However, I wanted to make the most of the journey so planned the route to involve at least one Cadwaladers (Criccieth of course) and one visit to the Llyn Peninsula.

First stop was to be Porth Ceiriad. I had been there once before on our chasing waves day so wanted to see it again when it was a bit calmer and see how different the photos would be. I remembered having to drive through a campsite so found the postcode for that. Wrong campsite of course, Navigationally Challenged in the blog title for a reason! Found it eventually, but they don't make it easy!







Last time we were here the waves were wild and so dramatic. This time is was decidedly calmer and the water seemed a much more beautiful colour.






Storm clouds were rolling in, but the rain stayed off the shore all the while I was there.

Managed to get further along the beach this time and found more caves with some beautiful rock formations. The Welsh coastline is truly dramatic and beautiful and I regret that it has taken me so long to find this out.







I don't know if it is the right or wrong thing to do, but I am trying to avoid using the tripod on the beach. The way it sinks into the sand makes it very difficult to keep steady, so I am instead upping the ISO a bit and opening the aperture to get a shorter shutter speed so I can hand hold. So far so good.

So off to Anglesey. I had booked to stay in Beaumaris for the night. Its a lovely town right on the harbour, but the storm was threatening so didn't have much chance to look around, but got a few pics.






The rain brought with it a rainbow, which hung over the water for a while and was so pretty.






I am trying to diversify with the type of pictures I take, meaning not just scenes. Going for "art". Not sure if its working yet, but will keep at it!







You can see the rain coming in on the last photo, so this was my cue to head to the hotel.

Lessons learned: I have realised that I struggle to concentrate in the presence of a pretty face. Handsome young concierge at the hotel asked for my car registration number and my mind went blank. I really am too old for that sort of nonsense!

I really do have absolutely no sense of direction.

2 comments:

  1. I've passed through Beaumaris so many times but never stopped. It's always too busy with tourists.If you want to diversify Bangor is well worth a visit. You can photograph the suspension bridge from the cliffs, visit church island, the pier, the Belgian Promenade and of course the cathedral. Follow that up with a visit to Caernarfon, just a short drive away, down the coast. There you've got the castle, the town centre, Lloyd George statue, When they are running the steam trains make good photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mike. I didn't get to spend much time in Beaumaris and the weather was poor, so not many tourists about. I will think about Bangor, only seem to drive through it to get to Anglesey.

    ReplyDelete