Sunday 29 March 2015

Mini adventure Day 2, Part 2, Red Wharf Bay

Time to head further around the Anglesey Coast. Not too sure where I was going, but figure if I kept the sea to my right, couldn't go too far wrong. I turned a corner and came across the following view:






This is Red Wharf Bay with miles and miles of sandy beach to walk along. The road down to it is incredible. It is a 35% incline, single track road with a very few passing places. It is badly signposted and was pure chance that I found it, which is probably why there were only about 4 other people on this beautiful beach.




The weather was glorious and it was a sheer joy to walk along the shore. My aim was to get to the buildings in the distance, hopefully there being a nice cafe there, but they were not accessible from the beach. Still had a great long walk. It doesn't feel like exercise somehow on a beach because "exercise" isn't fun is it? And this certainly was!

The beach was wide, long and flat and although that made it great to walk on, it doesn't make for dramatic photos so I can't say I am really happy with many of them. Not sure what I am doing wrong yet.






Decided to try to drive to the cafe in the end, and just assumed, as you would, that if you follow the coast road it would take you to it. Wrong. The road suddenly veered off to the left, back up the 35% incline. My poor old car is not very accommodating at the best of times, but this time it truly let its feelings be known!

My only complaint about Anglesey is the scarcity of road signs and when you have issues with directions, as I do, it doesn't make life very easy. Anyway, I eventually found the buildings that I could see from the beach on a very small harbour and it was quite charming.






I had lunch at The Boathouse and it was a delightful place. Very nautical shabby chic inside. 

So feeling nourished and refreshed, set off for the next part of the adventure.

Lessons Learned: I am either going to have to lose some weight so the car doesn't struggle uphill, or replace the car. They've just opened a new Cadwaladers in Abersoch, so I guess the car has to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment