Friday 13 March 2015

Dolgellau

A drizzly and dreary day and a choice. Stay in the warm and do some much needed housework or go out into the cold and rainy day and walk somewhere. No choice really. The camera was packed, the thermals were layered and off I went.

Destination - Dolgellau. In particular, the Glyn Aran Walk from my Snowdonia App, a 2.5m, moderate leisure walk through country roads and fields giving views of the Cader Idris range. Perfect. Hah!

The walk started off ok, walking through the town and out, following a stream. No problem. The climb is steep but expected and good training for Snowdon! The problems started when I should have come to a "metalled road" leading steeply through the Aran Gorge. Nothing remotely like that appeared so I followed something that vaguely resembled a path and ended up in a field. Beautiful views admittedly, through the rain and mist, but a field nonetheless.






After that, the path bore no resemblance to the directions on my app at all. Thought I would persevere for a bit longer and see where it led. It led into another field which was occupied by 2 horses who decided to investigate the strange woman who had just invaded their territory and came bounding up towards me. I have not had much to do with horses but never considered myself scared of them, but having 2 large enthusiastic creatures aiming themselves at you can be a tad intimidating.

So I flattened myself against a tree and hoped for the best which is when I heard a voice say "excuse me, but are you lost?"

The voice belonged to the lady who owned the horses. She told me that I had missed the path completely and was heading across random fields. (I'm really not safe to be let out by myself!) We had a lovely chat for a good few minutes about the general area, about Snowdonia and hiking, horses, kids at University and how to get back on the path. All through the conversation, the horses had decided I had food in my backpack and I spent the whole time being nuzzled to death. (Not a bad way to go but a horse wouldn't be my first choice of nuzzler!)

So with detailed instructions, I was sent on my way and finally found something that looked like a road and, through more luck than judgement, followed it all the way back to Dolgellau.






It was lovely looking down on the town from such a high point, knowing that I had climbed that far up, but the day was still dull and drizzly and unfortunately I wasn't able to get any really good pictures.





So all in all, a bit of a mixed adventure. But fun!

Lessons Learned: Don't walk through a field of horses with food in your backpack!

Don't believe everything you read. I used to think this only applied to the less reputable tabloid newspapers, but seems it applies to the Snowdonia App as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment