Monday 30 March 2015

Mini Adventure Day 3 Llanddwyn

So both the Potting Shed and I survived the night, although I think it was touch and go at times!.

Last stop of the adventure, Llanddwyn Island, to visit the two lighthouses of Twr Mawr and Twr Bach. I had visited here before, at the end of last year but I feel my photography has come on a bit since then and I want to have another go at it.






Its another long walk on the beach to get to the lighthouses, but although windy, it wasn't raining and there were few people about.

There are an abundance of very beautiful shells scattered across the sands and I have to stop myself gathering handfuls. I have a "Coastal Corner" at home where I have displayed many of my nautical craft designs and the shells look lovely there, but really, I do have enough now!









The strong winds made the sea very dramatic. Because the day was bright I was able to keep my shutter speed fast and so capture the spray. I stood on the cliff edge for ages waiting for the waves to break in a suitably theatrical way and 9 times out of 10 I missed it. Still at least managed to get a couple of shots. Have a magnetic attraction to cliff edges in the wind at the moment, hope to get over that soon!





There is so much to see on the island. Not just the two lighthouses, but there are monuments, ruins, deserted houses and also the most beautiful horses, just standing around watching the tourists.






To get to the beach you drive through a beautiful deep forest and there are a number of designated walks through it for different abilities of walkers. I am ashamed to say that I took the easy 1m walk. In my defence I had already covered nearly 20m in the last 3 days and my legs were starting to send messages of complaint. Actually, it was a lovely walk through the forest, something I haven't done for a while.






I can imagine that this is a lovely place to walk when the beach gets a bit too hot. Calm and relaxing until I came to what I am sure is the way to Sleeping Beauty's Castle!



So that is the end of my trip. I had an incredible time. I was a little nervous to start off with as it was a bit of a daunting thought to go off by myself for 3 days. Been an awful long time since I have done anything like that but hopefully I am getting braver, fitter and a better photographer!

Lessons learned: I have trekked to new places, climbed cliffs in hurricanes, battled with unpleasant farmers and paddled in wellies. All with my camera around my neck. Don't let anyone ever tell you that you are too old to do something so daft! I am gradually becoming the amazing woman I always wanted to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment