Sunday 29 March 2015

Mini Adventure Day 2 Part 4, South Stack

Third and final lighthouse of the day, South Stack on Holy Island. Been there before, but not for sunset.

The weather was starting to cause a little concern as it was getting very windy but I had to give it a go. The sun was starting to sink so timing was about perfect.







This is an incredible place. You stand high on the cliff top looking down on to the sea and some spectacular scenery. You can climb very high and the only thing between you and an extremely long drop is common sense. I made sure I was always a step and a stumble away from the edge, but with the wind so strong it was a bit touch and go on occasion!






I have found now that my fitness levels are definitely improving. I am scrambling up and down steep hills with a lot less wheezing now, although some still goes on. But what I find is that it makes me explore more. Previously I had found inclines a bit too challenging so wouldn't bother, but now I will always make an attempt. Its still hard work and I still wheeze, but recovery is certainly quicker and it is usually worth the climb.






The views from the top are amazing, looking back over Snowdonia, but unfortunately my sunrise fails to materialise. The sun sinks behind the clouds and apart from a bit of pinkness to the sky, it just gets dark so I decide it would be prudent to call it a night before I misjudge just how far a step and a stumble is!

Also, I am finding it very difficult to stand upright, never mind hold a camera still, and tripods, forget it!

I have booked an overnight stay at the South Stacks Coastal Retreat and am staying in the Potting Shed. This is a gorgeous little room and when I say little, I mean there is room to swing nothing bigger than your mood! But it is completely charming, with really pretty shabby chic decor, enough cushions to rival Ikea, and my own garden area to sit in. After all the walking I am tired so settle for a good nights sleep, but the weather has other ideas. It feels and sounds like I am in the middle of a hurricane. The rain is lashing and the wind is howling and I feel that at any moment I am going to take off and land on a witch somewhere colourful!

So it is a very tired and bleary eyed unfit photographer who sets off for the final day of her adventure!

Lessons Learned: Pack earplugs!


No comments:

Post a Comment